Ready : 1 hr 10 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 1 hr † Not Inclusive of Marinatine]
Serve : Depending on amount rice
Generic : Boil/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 1 hrs Printable Recipe.
“Classic Comfort Food”
“Kai Juk (Chicken Porridge)” is basically “Pak Juk” with chicken flavor. One would prepare this dish the same way as you would with Pak Juk (~ click here for Pak Juk (Plain Porridge) recipe ~) and simply add the chicken towards the end of the simmering. Juk is a very forgiving dish. It doesn’t matter if you are a great cook or a rookie. It is just a wonderful dish. Have it sweet or savory, thick or thin, luxurious or simple. Really, it’s up to you. The VianD’s version is not your typical Kai Juk that you get from outside where it is served with a plate of steamed/poached Chicken or some shredded chicken breast as garnishing. NO, The VianD does not consider those as Kai Juk! Tat’s simply Pak Juk with condiments! Ha..ha.. Here is The VianD’s version which has bite-size chickens boiled together with the rice, giving you the real chicken flavor. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Kai Juk (Chicken Porridge)“.
- Overnight soaked mixture of normal long-grain rice and Glutinous rice with a dash of Sesame oil.
- Chicken – chopped to bite size, marinated with Salt, Sugar, White Pepper and Oyster Sauce. Smashed Ginger and a small bunch of Glass Noodles for garnishing.
- Salt, Sugar, a dash of Sesame oil and Oyster sauce. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by boiling the Rice with a piece of smashed Ginger. Use double the amount of water U would normally cook rice – U can always add extra gradually along the way to achieve the desired consistency. Bring to boil and then simmer to the right consistency (preference) – abt 1 hr (depending on the heat). Stir occasionally to keep the bottom from burning.
- Step 2 : Meanwhile, heat up some oil till smoking hot, turn heat to low. Loosen the Glass Noodles (Tung Fun) and deep-fry till everything opened up and turned fluffy crispy. Dish out and place on some Kitchen tissue to soak up excess oil. Gently crashed the deep-fried Tung Fun (not too much), for garnishing. Set aside.
- Step 3 : Add the marinated Chicken into the Rice after abt 45-mins (at this juncture, the Rice should be around 3/4 way to ur desired consistency) of simmering. Continue to simmer the chicken is cooked thru – for abt another 15-mins (depending on the heat and the size of the Chicken). U do not want overly cooked soft chicken, it should not be falling off the bones but instead still processes some bite to it.
Add all the Seasoning Ingredients and your pot of delicious wholesome “Kai Juk (Chicken Porridge)” is ready to be served hot. To serve, drizzle some Sesame oil, sprinkle some white pepper and top with the deep-fried Glass Noodles.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved