Ready : 1 hr 10 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 1 hrs]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Braise
Level : Easy
Idle : 1 hrs Printable Recipe.
“Distinctive Aromatic Delicious Duck”
The name “Puppy Duck” (this is NOT Ginger Duck), is a direct translation from Cantonese “Kow Chai Ngap”. Apparently, the dish is named as such because, it actually taste like “dog meat” True ? Well, The VianD has no idea, ha..ha.., but the duck sure taste good !!! This version was actually my beloved mom’s signature dish !!! After she retired from cooking, The VianD has tried many times to re-create the original taste of this traditional delicious dish. The secret…, use a combination of both ‘Salted black beans’ and ‘Taucu’ (Fermented Bean Paste). And of course, the distinctive aromatic ‘Leek’. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Kow Chai Ngap (Puppy Duck)“.
- Duck – chopped to bite size. Lots of sliced old Ginger, smashed Garlic, Salted Black Beans and Taucu.
- Lots of Leeks. Really need to be cleaned, soaked in water and rinsed thoroughly – lots of sand.
- Salt, Sugar, a dash of Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by sauteing the old Ginger, Garlic, Salted Black Beans and Taucu till aromatic. Add the duck and stir mix well. Continue to saute on medium heat till duck fat starts to render. Add water (just abt cover the Duck), bring to a boil and then turn heat to low and simmer – for abt 30 mins.
- Step 2 : After the first 30-mins of simmer, add the leeks, mix well. Continue to simmer for another 30-mins or till Duck and Leeks soften (preference) and sauce rendered to slightly thicken. There will be quite a bit of Duck fat produced, simply skim off the excess if U like. Add the Seasoning Ingredients. Viola !!! Your distinctive aromatic delicious “Kow Chai Ngap (Puppy Duck)” is ready hot!!!
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved