Ready : 3-4 hr [Prep : 20 mins † Cooking : 3-4 hrs]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Boil/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 3-4 hrs Printable Recipe.
“Warm Hearty Soup”
“Lou Wong Kwa Tong (Old Cucumber Soup)“ is perfect for hot and stuffy weather as it helps eliminate body ‘heat’. And ladies, this soup is also known to be good for our skin and helps prevent aging. *smile* Old cucumber, as the name suggests is just matured cucumber and is extremely high in dietary fiber ! A very common soup that frequently graces the dining table among the Chinese households and incredibly simple to prepare. The VianD specially dedicates this soup to all of us around the S.E.A region !!! Here’s The Viand’s version of “Lou Wong Kwa Tong (Old Cucumber Soup)“.
- Old Cucumber, Meat/Bones, Dried Cuttlefish, Red Dates and Tung Choy. Soak both the Cuttlefish and Red Dates with warm water for a few mins, just to get rid of any impurities.
- Salt, Sugar and optional – a touch of Oyster sauce. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by scraping the skin of the Cucumber – this will not only clean the Cucumber but also help get rid of the earthy and sometimes bitter taste. Peel off strip of the skin (see image) – this will help the Cucumber hold its shape after long hrs of simmering. Or U can simply peel all. Take a spoon and thoroughly scrape off all the seeds. Cut into abt 2-inches size.
Or U can simply peel all the skin of the Cucumber but U may end up with tiny pieces of Cucumber as it will disintegrate into the soup following the long hrs of simmering.
- Step 2 : Saute and brown the Meats/Bones. Add Broth/Water and bring to boil.
- Step 3 : Add the rest of the Ingredients (Optional – grilling the cuttlefish a little b4 adding into the soup really intensify its flavor). Bring to boil, simmer for at least 3 hours or till the Old cucumber soften. Add the Seasoning Ingredients. Your bowl of nutritious hearty “Lou Wong Kwa Tong” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved