“A Tweaked Confinement Wine Chicken Dish”
Ready : 35 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 25 mins] Printable Recipe
Commonly prepare for confinement ladies, “Wong Zhao Kai” (Chinese Yellow Wine Chicken) has three important health properties. The wine; runs your blood; the chicken nourishes and the ginger; keeps the body warm. However, this VianD’s version is a little different from the original version – tweaked slightly to suit the entire family. Sliced Ginger (instead of strips) and no Black fungus, mainly because of the kid’s dislike! *😊* Slightly thicker gravy instead of watery soup! The most noticeably different is that; Fried beaten Eggs were added to soak-up all the savory delicious soup/sauce !! More of a version for the entire family. Here’s The Viand’s take on, “Wong Zhao Kai With A Twist (Chinese Yellow Wine Chicken)“
- Chicken – chopped to bite-size, Chinese Rice wine, Lots of Ginger slice, Eggs and Sesame oil. If U can get Kampong Chicken, it’s perfect or alternately, Free-range chicken; cos these Chicken has firmer meat texture and a lot less fat.
- Lots of sliced Ginger, Eggs and ofcos, the all important good quality Rice Wine (this is homemade).
- Salt, Sugar and White pepper. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by beating a few Eggs vigorously. Fry the beaten Eggs. Break them up into slightly bigger than bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Saute Ginger slices and chopped Garlic with Sesame oil (more flavorful and aromatic). Add Chicken and continue to saute till the meat turns to whitish and aromatic.
- Step 3 : U can continue to finish the cooking in the Wok but The VianD likes to transfer them into a Pyrex pot or some kind of Crockpot, simply it simmer better with the ability to retain heat and easier to serve. Add water and Wine (portion wise – individual preference), bring it to boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for abt 10-15 mins (depending on ur preference of the softness of the Chicken) or till sauce thicken slightly.
- Step 3 : Add the Eggs and all the Seasoning Ingredients. Add a splash of the Rice Wine if U like, this will give a slightly visible stronger Wine taste. Give it a good stir. There U have it, ur pot of delicious “Wong Zhao Kai With A Twist (Chinese Yellow Wine Chicken)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved