Ready : 3-4 hr [Prep : 20 mins † Cooking : 3-4 hrs † Not Inclusive Of Soaking Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Boil/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 3-4 hrs Printable Recipe.
“A Hearty Comforting Soup”
The VianD would be very surprised if this soup dish has not been blogged time after time with written memories of childhood kitchens, mothers and grandmothers alike. All the same, The VianD like to share this dish here because it is really a soup that pulls your heart back to home; a very comforting dish indeed. Crunchy, delicate flavored Lotus Root is an underwater edible rhizome of Lotus plant. It has very good source dietary fibers; together with slow digesting complex carbohydrates in the root help reduce blood cholesterol, sugar, body weight and constipation conditions. Here’s The Viand’s version of, “Ling Ngau Tong (Lotus Root and Peanuts Soup)“ Actually, two dishes; 1st – the soup itself and 2nd – lightly saute of the boiled Lotus Roots – a side dish if U like (this may be unique to The VianD family !!!).
- Lotus Roots. Dried Oysters, Dried shredded cuttlefish (or whole), Dried Scallops, Red Dates, Yok Chok (Solomon’s Seal Rhizome) and some Kei Chi (Wolfberry) (all soaked in hot water).
Peanuts – soaked overnight.
Scallion – cut to 2 inches long.
- Salt, Sugar, Oyster Sauce and Sesame oil. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 – Boiling The Soup : Start by cleaning the Lotus Root properly. Because it grows underwater, U’ll find lots of mud sediments attach to the Roots. U don’t need to peel it but The VianD like to kindda scrub the surface a little. Cut between joints (discard the joint). Set aside.
There are generally two kinds of Lotus Root available – imported from China and the local ones. Both are fine but The Viand prefer the local ones as they are more crunchy in texture when saute and produce a cleaner soup while the other, are a little more powdery.
- Step 2 : Brown/sear the Meats/Bones a little.
Add water and bring to boil. Skim off any bits and pieces of impurities and excess oil on the surface.
- Step 3 : Add the rest of the Ingredients and bring it to boil and simmer for at least 3-4 hrs. Seasoned with Salt and Sugar to taste.
That’s it ! Your bowl of hearty warm and delicious “Ling Ngau Tong (Lotus Root and Peanuts Soup)” is ready to be served hot.
- Step 4 – Sauteing The Boiled Lotus Root : When the soup is done, remove the Lotus Roots and let it cool down a little. Half the Lotus Roots and thinly slice them at an angle.
- Step 5 : Sautee chopped Garlic till aromatic. On medium heat, add in the sliced Lotus Roots, mix well. Add a little water, sliced Spring Onions and the seasoning of Salt, Sugar, a dash of Oyster Sauce and Sesame oil. Give it a quick a stir. That’s it. Plate and serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved