Ready : 3 hr 10 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 3hrs 05 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Boil/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 3 hrs Printable Recipe.
“A Classic Gingery Dish With Sweet Vinegar”
“Chi Keok Cho” is a traditional confinement dish for Chinese ladies. The black vinegar together with the ginger is said to invigorate the body after labor and regulate the flow of the blood and the body system a back to a normal state prior to giving birth. Pig’s Trotters are rich in collagen which is good for strengthening joints & lumbar. Having said that, like most traditional confinement dishes; it is also shared by everyone. In fact, many “Dim Sum restaurants” offer this dish with a very pricey tag. However, the VianD’s version presented here has a twist in it and is not your typical “Chi Keok Choa”. It has Dried-chili and the soup is slightly thicker and a little more sourish. In fact, the twist made this dish more into an everyday dish ! Here’s The Viand’s version of “Chi Keok Choa (Pig’s Trotter in Sweetened Black Vinegar)“.
- Thoroughly cleaned chopped Pig’s Trotter – to bite size.
- Dried chilies, Tamarind slices, lots of smashed Ginger (preferably both Old and Young)) and Garlic.
- Sesame oil and Sweetened Black Vinegar. Rock sugar (normal sugar is fine), Salt and coarsely grounded Black pepper. A little of Gula Melaka (Palm sugar) will certainly elevate the flavors. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by boiling a pot of water. Blanching the Pig’s Trotter to get rid of unwanted impurities – for abt 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Step 2 : Saute the smashed Ginger, Garlic, Dried Chillis and maybe some coarsely grounded Black pepper in Sesame oil till aromatic. Add the Pig’s Trotter and saute till Fat starts to render.
- Step 3 : Optional – Add a little Dark Soy for coloring. Mix well. Add the Sweetened Black Vinegar – the amount depends on preference but at least enough to cover half of the Pork trotter. Bring to boil.
- Step 4 : Add water – just enough to cover the meat. Add the Tamarind Slices and bring to boil. Turn heat to low and simmer till Trotters soften and sauce thickens – abt at least 3 hours.
- Step 5 : After at least 3 hours of simmering, add Salt and Rock sugar – to taste. Mix well and ur pot of delicious “Chi Keok Choa (Pig’s Trotter in Sweetened Black Vinegar)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved