Ready : 3 hr 15 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 3 hrs 10 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Braise
Level : Easy
Idle : 3 hrs Printable Recipe.
“Heavenly Sauce Soft-Tender Pig’s Trotter”
“Loh Chi Keok” (Braised Pork Trotter in Dark Soy) is almost similar to “Chi Keok Cho” (Pig’s Trotter in Sweetened Black Vinegar) – click for details, but without the Black Vinegar and sourness. While the cooking method is quite similar, the flavor certainly triggers a whole new set of taste buds. The thick sauce is heavenly !! Here’s The Viand’s version of “Loh Chi Keok” (Braised Pork Trotter in Dark Soy)“.
- Thoroughly cleaned chopped Pig’s Trotter – to bite size.
- Smashed Ginger, Shallot and Garlic, coarsely grounded Black Pepper, Cinnamon stick and Anise. Optional – a few Dried chili (just for some kick). And a few Eggs.
Just a stick of Cinnamon and a petal or two of Anise because both can be very overpowering.
- Sesame oil, Rock sugar (normal sugar is fine), Salt and coarsely grounded Black pepper. A little of Gula Melaka (Palm sugar) will certainly elevate the flavors. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by boiling a pot of water. Boil a couple of Eggs. Hard boil, abt 8-10 mins. Remove from the water and soak in cold water immediately for a few minutes, this will ensure easy peeling of the Eggs. Set aside.
With the same pot of water, bring to boil again. Blanch the Pig’s Trotter to get rid of unwanted impurities – for abt 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Step 2 : Saute the smashed Ginger, Garlic, Dried Chillis and maybe some coarsely grounded Black pepper in Sesame oil till aromatic. Add the Pig’s Trotter and saute till Fat starts to render.
- Step 3 : Add dark Soy and mix well. Add water and bring to boil.
- Step 4 : Add the hard-boiled eggs. Bring to boil and then turn the heat to low and simmer till Trotter soften and sauce thicken – abt 3 hrs. Season with Salt and Sugar to taste. Viola, ur pot of Soft-Tender, “Loh Chi Keok (Braised Pig’s Trotter)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved