Ready : 1 hr 10 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 60 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Boil/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 60 mins Printable Recipe.
“Hot And Spicy Sour Soup To Die For”
“First thing first, this is NOT your typical Chinese long-simmer healthy soup !!! This is a soup that makes up of fatty leftover food and gravy – usually prepared after a huge celebration dinner (where plentiful of leftover are available). So, there is no way to make this soup dish healthy and if U R not prepare for some sinful indulgent, stop here now.. LOL”
Poor Man’s Food; “Choy Keok” in Cantonese, literally means “leftover food“. So, it is no surprise that the main ingredient for this dish is “leftover food” (especially fatty meat/gravy) and a certain leafy green vegetable called “Kai Choy (Mustard Green)” – the flavor of Gai Choy is true to the mustard family; pungent, peppery and reminiscent of wasabi mustard with a more robust depth when cooked. After boiling for a long period of time with “Keping Asam Gelugur” – which is a type of “Dried Tamarind slice” and lots of “Dried Chillies”; the final product is an “infusion of tender vegetables, fatty meat and a helluva oily “hot and spicy sour soup” !!! Here’s The Viand’s version of “Choy Keok (Hot And Spicy Sour Mustard Green Soup)“.
- Mustard Green Vegetables – There are two types of Kai Choy (Mustard Green); use both if U can !! One being leafier than the other. Here, The VianD only has the lefty ones, couldn’t get the other type.
- Lots of all kinds of leftover food and gravy. Seriously, all kinds !!! If you don’t have enough fatty leftovers, adding Roasted Pig Leg/Face or Duck (if U like the meat) is perfect !! U do need the Fat/Oil, else it’s not “Choy Keok”..LoL
- Soaked Dried chilies and Tamarind slices – just for a few mins. Lots of them (depending on urs preference of spiciness and sourness).
- Salt and Sugar. Absolutely NO tomato ketchup – Ewww !!! All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by thoroughly wash the Mustard Green – cut into about 1 and 1/2 inches wide. Set aside.
- Step 3 : The VianD is going to spare you from the displeasure sight of all the leftovers..ahaha. So, just the cooking method. Simmer for abt an hour or so, depending on the heat and the level of acidity (sourness) – soften faster with more acidity.
- Step 3 : After boiling and simmering for an hour or so. Add all the Seasoning Ingredients. There U have it, ur bowl of mouth-watering appetizing bowl of “Choy Keok (Hot And Spicy Sour Mustard Green Soup)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved