Ready : 4-5 hr [Prep : 60 mins † Cooking : 3-4 hrs]
Serve : 1/2 bowl per serving for 4 with other dishes
Generic : DeepFry/Assemble/Steam
Level : Difficult/Tedious
Idle : 3-4 hrPrintable Recipe.
“Absolutely Insanely Delicious Hakka Dish”
Wu Tau Kow Yuk (Hakka Steamed Pork belly with Yam) is a famous traditional Hakka dish – a steamed dish with slices of Pork belly and Yam. Preparation wise, it is a long and tedious process but if you get it right, it is absolutely insanely delicious and makes it worth all your while of hard work (abt 4-5 hrs) ! However, the good thing is that you can do a batch and fridge it for later consumption and it would taste even better as the flavors infuse further into the Yam and the Pork belly. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Wu Tau Kow Yuk (Hakka Steamed Pork Belly With Yam) – 芋头扣肉”.
- Pork Belly – A cut of abt 3-inches thick block with skin-on.
Yam – An average size Yam, peeled properly and slice evenly to about 1 cm thick.
- Minced Ginger and Garlic, sliced Scallion, White Pepper, Anise, Fermented Red Bean Curd, Oyster Sauce, Sesame Oil and Shaoxing Wine and the all important Five-spice Powder. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by blanching the Pork Belly – abt 5 mins. Just to firm the Pork-belly up for easy-handling and getting off any impurities. Set aside.
Rub both the Pork-belly and sliced Yam with a little Dark Soy (just for color).
Deep fry both till slightly golden brown – abt 5-mins. Set aside.
Slice the Pork-belly evenly to abt 1cm think. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Saute the Ginger, Garlic and Shallot of the Marinating Ingredients till aromatic. Mix the rest of the ingredients thoroughly with water. Add to the sauce ingredients, bring to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer a little while. Add Salt and Sugar to taste. Thicken the sauce with a little Cornflour. Divide into 2 portions – one for steaming and one part as drizzling sauce when served. Set aside.
- Step 3 : Mix a little of the Marinating sauce to the sliced Yam and Pork-belly to intensify the flavor. Mix well, making everything is well coated. Set aside.
- Step 4 : Arrange the Yam and Pork (skin-side down) in a bowl alternately and firmly. The normal rice-bowl size is perfect.
Pour a little of the sauce over. Shake and tap the bowl to make sure the sauce get inside. Make sure everything is cover with the sauce.
Heat up a steamer. Steam till soften. Ideally for abt 3-4 hrs to get the Fat and Yam to melt in your mouth.
- Step 5 : After 3/4 long painstaking hrs, ur mouth-watering absolutely delicious “Wu Tau Kow Yuk (Hakka Steamed Pork Belly With Yam) – 芋头扣肉” is done!
To serve, simply turn the bowl of content over on a plate, drizzle with some additional sauce and serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved