Ready : 60 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 55 mins † Not Inclusive Of Marinating Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Gentle Saute
Level : Moderate Easy
Idle : 55 mins Printable Recipe.
“Delicious Luscious Caramelized Pork”
Char Siew (BBQ Pork belly) is a classic delicious pork dish in Cantonese cuisine. A piece of roasted meat, moist and flavorful on the inside and caramelized and slightly chewy on the outside, with a sweet aroma redolent of five-spice and garlic. It is classified as a type of Siu Mei (燒味), Cantonese for roasted meat. Traditional cooking method for this dish involves long strips of seasoned boneless pork; skewered with long forks and roast over an open fire. The result; a succulent piece of roast pork. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Char Siew (BBQ Pork Belly)” prepared in a less complicated and tidier cooking method – Pan Fried !
- Pork-belly, cut to to 1.5-2 inches thick.
- Minced Garlic, White Pepper, Fermented Red Bean Curd, Oyster Sauce, Sesame Oil, Dark Soy, lots of Sugar (brown sugar, better flavor), Salt, Honey, 5-spice Powder, red-edible coloring (optional) and Shaoxing Wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Pork-belly with all the Marinating Ingredients – overnite.
- Step 2 : Make sure the Pork-belly are at room-temperature (out of the Fridge for at least an hr) b4 Pan-frying. Btw, U do need some kind of non-stick pan or pot, else washing will be a helluva job…LoL.
Slow-saute the Pork-belly (together with the marinating sauce) on a very low heat, with lid cover. Turn and flip the Pork-belly regularly to ensure even cooking and avoid burning. Add a little water if too dry. After abt 45-mins to an hr, the Pork-belly will be softened and caramelized.
- Step 3 : This step is optional. While U can now slice the BBQ pork and serve but The VianD like to grill it a little to get a little char on the Meat. Here’s how U do it. To further enhance the texture and flavors, simply oven-grill the Pork-belly (brush a little Honey all over) for a couple of mins @ abt 220C (preheated) or for as burned as you want your BBQ Pork to be.
Let the pork rest for at least 10-15 minutes. Slice to prefered thickness and ur “Char Siew (BBQ Pork Belly)” is ready to be served.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved