Ready : 25 mins [Prep : 30 mins † Cooking : 35 mins † Excluding Soaking Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : DeepFry/StirFry
Level : Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“Loh Hon Chai (Buddha’s Delight)” is no stranger to Chinese dining tables all over the world, especially during festivities. Buddha’s Delight or “Lo Hon Chai” (as pronounced in the Cantonese dialect) is a simple vegetarian dish; hence its namesake as Buddha himself was a vegetarian. The dish derives most of its flavor from Fermented Red Beancurd (南乳). While there are probably countless versions of this dish out there, the usual ingredients in this popular dish are Chinese Cabbage, Dried Beancurd Sheets, Mushrooms, Cloud-Ear Fungus, Fatt Choy (Black Moss- if U like) and last but not least, Glass noodles. Here’s The Viand’s version of the original recipe, “Loh Hon Chai (Buddha’s Delight)“
- Fermented Red Beancurd, Chinese Cabbage, Glass Noodles – soaked for at least an hour and Fatt Choy (Black Moss)-soaked in hot water, just a little while. And of course, Beancurd Skins/Sheets.
- Salt and Sugar. All to taste. If U are not keeping this as a Vegetarian dish, U can add a a tiny bit of Oyster sauce, just for added flavor. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by Lightly deep-frying Beancurd Skins to light Golden-brown. Be quick, easily burned !! Set aside to drain excess off oil. Break it up into slightly bigger than bite-size. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Saute some chopped Garlic and Fermented Red Beancurd (break it up – or dilute and dissolve with a little water b4 sautéing) till aromatic.
- Step 3 : Add in the Chinese Cabbage. Mix well and saute a while add water and simmer till half-soften, abt 5-8 mins. Add the Beancurd Skins and Glass Noodles. Add more water and simmer till Cabbage and Beancurd Skins soften to preference. Lastly, add Fatt Choy and Seasoning Ingredients. Give it a good stir and serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved