Ready : 55 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 45 mins † Not Inclusive Of Marinating Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Steamed
Level : More than easy
Idle : 45 mins Printable Recipe.
“The Signature Hakka Chicken Dish”
Of Hakka origin, “Salted (Herbal) Chicken” bags a totally different flavor from your normal ‘white chopped chicken’ or simply boiled or steamed chicken. Traditionally, wrapped in “sand paper” and roasted in coarse salt, this dish is absolutely delicious; if properly prepare ! Here’s The VianD’s tweaked version of “Hakka Salted Herbal Chicken”.
- Chicken thighs or whole chicken if U like, properly pat-dried.
Castrated (Yim Kai) or Kampung (Free-range) Chicken definitely makes helluva different as far as meat texture goes !
- Yok Chok (Solomon’s Seal Rhizome) and Kei Chi (Wolfberry) – (soaked in warm water) and “Dong Quai” (Angelica sinensis) slices/bits. Slices of Ginger and smashed Garlic.
- Lots of Sea Salt (Smoked Maldon salt will adds smokiness), a little Sugar, White pepper, Shaoxing Wine, Oyster Sauce and a pinch of Five Spice powder (optional). All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Chicken Thighs with all the Marinating Ingredients. Mix well, rub it in. Overnite.
- Step 2 : Make sure Chicken are at room-temperature (out of the Fridge for at least 1 hr) b4 steaming. Properly pat-dry the marinated chicken. Placed the chicken on a double layer of “Baking paper”, add pieces of the Dried ingredients (just a little of everything). Wrap it up properly. Steam for 35-45 mins, depending on the size of the chicken.
To test if the Chicken is cook thru, simply pierce the thickest part of the Chicken with a fine sharp stick, if no oozing blood, it’s cooked !
- Step 3 : Unwarp chicken and let it rest for awhile b4 chopping to bite size. Keep the juice, use it as sauce. Your delicious plate of “Hakka Salted Herbal Chicken” is ready to be serve.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved