Ready : 50 mins [Prep : 15 mins † Cooking : 35 mins † Excluding Marinating Time]
Serve : Individual Serving
Generic : PanFry
Level : Easy/Tedious
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“Crispy Succulent Fried Chicken”
“Fried Chicken (also referred to as Southern Fried Chicken)” is chicken pieces which have been floured or battered and then fried in oil. The breading adds a crisp coating or crust to the exterior while keeping the meat moist and tender. Crisp well-seasoned skin, rendered of excess fat with tender and moist meat, is a hallmark of a good piece of fried chicken. There are basically three main techniques for frying chickens: Pan fried, Deep fried and Broasting. Pan frying (or shallow frying) requires a frying pan and oil that can withstand high heat. Seasoning-wise, it’s really up to your fancy, with some culinary sense, of course. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Pan-Fried Chicken Thigh with Bread Crumb“.
- Deboned Chicken Thighs – butterfly to an even thickness. Am sure U can get the Poultry man to do this for U.
- Red Carrots, Potatoes and Tomatoes – all cut to block.
French Beans – whole or cut at an angle to abt 3 inches long.
DIPPING SAUCE :
- Instead of whipping it urself, this is The VianD’s bottled choice. To enhance the flavors, just add more Dill Relish, finely chopped Onion and Parsley, Salt and Black pepper.
COATING CRUST :
- Flour – seasoned with Salt and Black pepper. Lightly beaten Eggs and Breadcrumb (U can buy or simply roast few slices of bread and blend it urself – use stale bread and bread with less oil content).
Optional : Paprika or local substitute – Dried Chilis flakes.
- Salt, Black Pepper, Rosemary, Thyme and Bay Leaf. Optional, a little Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by tenderizing the chicken. Slip the chicken thigh into a plastic bag and pound it with something solid (maybe the back of ur knife?).
- Step 2 : Marinate the Chicken over-nite with all the Marinating Ingredients.
- Step 3 : Boil a pot of water and blanch the chunky Side Ingredients (excluding Tomatoes). Add a pinch of Salt. Obviously, start with the harder ones first – Potatoes and Carrots, for abt 10 mins. Then add the French Beans, for another 2-3 mins. Remove from the water and quickly dump into ice water or run it thru cold water to stop it overcooking. Set aside.
- Step 4 : Make sure the Chicken is at room temperature (out of the Fridge for at least an hr) b4 frying.
Coat the Chicken with the flour thoroughly. Shake off excess flour. Dip the floured chicken in the egg and let the extra drip off. Then lay it in the bread crumbs, and scoop some over to cover the top. Press down gently all over, then lift from the bowl and set on a plate. Do that for all the chicken. Set aside.
Heat-up oil on medium-low heat. Gently put the Chicken in and fry for abt 5-8 mins (depending on the heat and the thickness of the Chicken) on each side – till Golden-brown. Do not over-crowd, do in batches if need to. To test if the Chicken is cooked thru, simply pierce the Chicken with a skewer, clear oozing juice means the Chicken is done.
- Step 5 : The VianD like to oven-grilled the Side Vegetables a little with a little butter, Salt and Black pepper and Thyme. Add the Tomatoes. Give it a few toss. While the Chicken frying, preheat the Oven to 180C. Pop it into the Oven for abt 5 mins, this will give it a Rusty look and enchant the flavors.
- Step 6 : Place on a metal rack and let it rest for at least 10 mins to drain off excess oil. Plate with the Side Ingredients and serve with Dipping sauce.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved