Ready : 3-4 hr [Prep : 20 mins † Cooking : 3-4 hrs]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Boil/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 3-4 hrs Printable Recipe.
“A Nourishing Bowl Of Goodness”
The weather in SEA is perpetually hot and humid. So the best way to cool down in our tropical climate is with a nourishing and cooling bowl of watercress soup (西洋菜汤). Watercress is packed with anti-oxidants and vitamins. It was well researched and published that watercress has detoxifying and cancer-preventing properties as well. In Chinese Medicine, it is often used as a complementary medicine to speed up detoxification processes; clear heat in the body and nourish the lungs. Basically, it’s good for “late-sleepers” and “smokers” (hmnnn.., sounds like, it’s made in heaven for The VianD…lol). And check this out – “Watercress is one of the oldest known leaf vegetables consumed by humans” (interesting..). Everything aside, it is simply a nourishing bowl of goodness that is really easy to prepare. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Watercress Soup (西洋菜汤)“.
- Watercress soaked in salt water for 10-15 mins (the salt helps to get rid of the impurities). Rinse the Greens a few times to properly clean it.
Make sure U get the mature Watercress – the ones with big tough steam.
- Meats/Bones, soaked Red Dates and Dried Oysters.
- Salt and Sugar. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Brown/sear the Meats/Bones a little.
Add water and bring to boil. Skim off any bits and pieces of impurities and excess oil on the surface.
- Step 2 : Add the Red Dates and dried Oysters, bring to boil.
Add in the Watercress. Water must be boiling (else bitter – not too sure if this is true but The VianD is not ready to put a good pot of soup to waste, ahaha.., so just follow this old advice !!!).
Let it continue boiling for a few mins and turn the heat to low and simmer for at least 3 hrs.
- Step 3 : After at least 3-4 hrs of simmering (the Watercress should be yellowish-greenish in color), add the Seasoning Ingredients of Salt and Sugar. Your pot of nourishing goodness of “Watercress soup” is ready.
Discard the Watercress, U don’t wanna eat this, cos it will be tough and chewy. All the goodies are in the soup. Serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved