Ready : 20 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 15 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : DeepFry
Level : Easy
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“A classic simple Chinese Fish dish”
“Deep-fried Black Pomfret with sizzled soy sauce” is a classic simple Fish dish among the Chinese – especially when the fish is not particularly fresh. Theoretically, U can prepare this dish in two ways, Pan-fried the fish (which needs a bit of time) or alternately; Deep-fried the fish like what is presented here. The different cooking method produces a totally different fish meats texture, one being more tender flesh while the later has a more crispy texture. Here’s The Viand’s version of, “Deep-Fried Black Pomfret with Sizzling Soy Sauce“.
- Black Pomfret Fish – properly clean, pat dry and score (for even deep-frying). Thinly slice Ginger strips.
- Light soy, Sugar, Sesame oil, White pepper, a touch of oyster sauce, Shaoxing wine and water. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the fish with some salts (optional – a pinch of Black-pepper if U like). Set aside.
- Step 2 : Heat up a pot of oil till smoking. Turn heat down to medium and deep-fry the Pomfret till golden brown. Depending on the size of the Fish and the heat, this will take abt 15-mins (7-8 mins each side). Transfer out to drain off excess oil. Set aside.
- Step 3 : Using abt two tablespoons of the same oil, saute the thinly sliced Ginger strips on medium heat till golden brown and aromatic. Set aside.
- Step 4 : While U can simply use normal Soya sauce but it tends to be too salty with no flavors at all. So, prepare own sauce mixture. Mix all the Sauce ingredients together, making sure everything is dissolved. Set aside.
- Step 5 : Lay the Fish in a slightly deepen plate. Pour the oil/Ginger strips over, pour pre-mixed sauce on top. Garnish and your “Deep Fried Black Pomfret” is ready to be served hot.