Ready : 20 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 10 mins † Excluding Marinating Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : StirFry
Level : More than Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“An Absolute Delicious Classic Chinese Fish Dish”
“Fish is by far one the healthiest meat, from a nutritious point of view. Provides a good source of protein without the saturated fat. Fish oils have been proven to improve brain power and reduce bad cholesterol levels.”
“Stir-fry Groupa Slices With Ginger and Scallion” is a simple yet delicious dish and a favorite among the Chinese community. Just another way to add flavor to the rather bland-tasting fish and without the bone, its great for the kids too. The combination of Ginger and Scallion with a dash of Shaoxing wine, superbly elevates the freshness of the fish. Using a technique in Chinese cuisine, call “Velveting – the Fish slices are lightly marinated with Cornstarch and then briskly deep-fry in very hot oil“, allowing the fish cook to perfection with a “velvety” texture. Here’s The Viand’s version of, “Stir-fry Grouper Slices With Ginger and Scallion (姜葱鱼片)“.
- Sliced Grouper (skin attached) to about 1cm thick. U can actually get your fishmonger to fillet and slice the fish on requested. Lots of sliced Ginger and Scallion (cut to 1-2 inches).
- Lots of sliced Ginger and Scallion (cut to 1-2 inches). Finely chopped Garlic. Slice Chili, just for coloring and garnish. Cornstarch mixture as thickening agent.
- Salt, Sugar, White Pepper and a small amount of Cornflour.
- Light Soy, Sesame oil, Oyster sauce, Shaoxing wine, Salt, Sugar and White Pepper. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
Traditionally, this dish uses a type of fish call ‘Sheng Yu’ (生鱼/Haruan/Snakehead Murrel). Frankly, any white firm/harder meat texture fish is fine. The VianD option is Grouper.
- Step 1 : Start by slicing the Fish (skin attached) to about 1cm thick. U can actually get your fishmonger to fillet and slice the fish on requested.
Then, slice lots of Ginger and Scallion (cut to 1-2 inches). Slice Red Chilli for coloring.
- Step 2 : Marinate the fish with a Salt, Sugar, White Pepper and a little Cornflour (for an hour or so).
- Step 3 : Heat up a pot of oil till smoking hot. Briskly deep-fry the Fish slices. Just a minute or so, U don’t wanna overcooked the fish. Make sure U do this with the fish at room temperature. In Chinese cooking, this process is call “Velveting”. Set aside to drain off excess oil.
- Step 4 : Saute sliced Ginger and some chopped Garlic till aromatic. Add water and bring to boil. This is the gravy so if U want more gravy, add a little more water. Turn heat to medium and simmer a while, just to get a more intense Ginger flavors. Add all the Seasoning Ingredients. Add Cornstarch mixture to help thicken the sauce. Add the Scallion, Chilli and fish slices. Gently stir (else the fish will break) and mix well. Dish out and serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved