Ready : 3 hr 30 mins [Prep : 30 mins † Cooking : 35 mins † Excluding Marinating Time]
Serve : Individual Serving
Generic : Bake
Level : Easy
Idle : 3 hrs Printable Recipe.
“Succulent Tender Ribs With Aromatic Asian Flavors”
Oven-baking can work wonders with pork ribs by braising them in low-heat, instead of barbecuing country’s style or the traditional Chinese’s way of pot braising (slow cook) which tends to result in soft-broken down meat. By braising ribs wrapped in foil in the oven, you reduce the evaporation and the tendency of the meat to dry out but still breaks down a tough connective tissue in the meat known as collagen into softer, more easily dissolved gelatin, thus a more favorable meat texture. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Slow Oven-braised Pork Ribs“. This VianD’s version is completely different from ur traditional “Gwai Lo” version but instead; infused with all the classic Chinese’s flavor.
- Pork Ribs, trimmed of excess fat and back-membrane – cut to three sticks per rack.
- Thinly sliced Ginger, smashed Garlic, sliced fresh Chili, Salt, Black Pepper, Palm Sugar, Oyster Sauce, Sesame oil, Shaoxing wine, Worcestershire sauce, Dark Soy (coloring) and a small amount of Rice vinegar (as meat tenderer), tiny piece of Anise and a stick of Cinnamon. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Cubed Onion, Carrots and Potatoes.
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the nicely cleaned and pat-dried Pork Ribs with Black pepper and Salt.
- Step 2 : Sear the Ribs in high-heat, making sure all sides are brown properly. Set aside.
- Step 3 : Mix all the Marinating Ingredient together with water, making sure everything is dissolved. Marinate the Ribs overnite. Make sure enough sauce to cover most of the meat.
- Step 4 : With the Ribs at room temperature (out of the Fridge for at least an hr), add in all cubed Side Ingredients. Give it a quick mix and spread everything evenly. Cover with Aluminium foil. Pop into the preheated Oven at abt 180C and let braise for abt 3 hours or til the Ribs become tender. Flip the ribs occasionally when braising to ensure even cooking. Sorry, no images!
- Step 4 : When the Ribs are done, remove from the sauce and let it rest for at least 15 mins b4 serving. Plate with ur normal blanched block Veggies, Fries or Mashed Potatoes, Bun and serve !!!
From the Sauce, fish out some of the cubed Ingredients (leave some) and serve at as side condiments. The rest of the sauce, blend it and sieve to get a perfect thick sauce.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved