Ready : 1 hr 10 mins [Prep : 30 mins † Cooking : 35 mins † Excluding Sun-drying Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Bake
Level : Easy/Tedious
Idle : 40 mins Printable Recipe.
“Aromatic Crispy Skin With Succulent Meat”
“Crispy Skin Fried Chicken” is a Cantonese cuisine found in southern China. The chicken is fried in such a way that the skin is extremely crispy, but the white meat is relatively soft. This is done by first dipping the chicken in water with spices, letting it dry thoroughly (helps make the skin crispy), and then deep frying. The dish often served with two side dishes, a five-spice salt (for dipping) and prawn crackers. This deep oil frying process can be a very messy affair for an average household. In view of this, The VianD tweaked the cooking method by oven-bake the Chicken. The result, it has to be said.., “as good as it can get”, without the mess. Just make sure that the Chicken is not over done. Here’s The Viand’s take of, “Oven Baked Crispy Skin Roast Chicken“
- Full Chicken Thighs.
BATHING BROTH :
- Smashed Ginger, Garlic, Lemongrass, Maltose (Honey), Anise, Salt, Shaoxing wine and a tiny bit of Rice Vinegar.
DRY-RUB MARINATING SPICE :
- Five-spice powder, White pepper, Black pepper, Salt (or Maldon Salt). Prepare more cos U need this for both marinating and as dipping-salt. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by mixing all the DRY-RUB MARINATING SPICES together. While U can simply use this as it is, but The VianD like to toast the mixture a little just to elevates the flavors. Gently roast the dry mixture spices till aromatic. Divide into two parts, one for marinating (larger portion) and some as dipping-salt. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Then boil a pot of water with all the Bathing Broth Ingredients. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10-15 mins to allow flavors infusion.
Then bathe the Chicken Thighs for abt 10 mins. The color of the skin should turn solid/hard white and kinda tighten up. Set aside.
- Step 3 : After bathing Chicken Thighs, pat dry. Rub in a generous amount of the roasted spices underneath the Chicken thighs. U can also score underneath the Chicken a little and work the spices in. Important to avoid the skin. Then leave it under Sun to dry for at least an hour. Set aside.
- Step 4 : After Sun-drying Chicken Thighs, U are ready to do the baking.
Pop into a pre-heated oven on a rack, with a tray to catch the dripping oil @ 190C for abt 40 minutes. To test if the chicken is done, simply poke with a skewer into the thickest part of the chicken, remove the skewer and observe the oozing juice – it should be clear and no sign of pink (blood). Take it out and let it rest for at least 15 mins b4 chopping to bite size. Serve hot with some toasted spices mixture.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved