Ready : 45 mins [Prep : 15 mins † Cooking : 30 mins]
Serve : Depending on the amount of rice
Generic : Errr.. simply Boil/Cook Rice ??
Level : More than easy
Idle : 30 mins Printable Recipe.
“CNY Aromatic Sumptuous “One Pot” Meal”
“Lap Mei Fun (腊味饭 – Chinese Wax Meat Rice)” is a typical Chinese New Year’s dish prepared in claypot. Traditionally, this dish consists of Chinese waxed meat such as Lup Cheong (Sausage), Lup Yoke (Pork-belly), Lup Ngap (Duck-drumstick) and Yun Cheong (Goose Liver Sausage). When the dish is done, the distinctive aromatic it releases is unbelievably appetizing. “The oil produced from the combination of waxed meat when cooked is the essence of the dish !” Here’s The Viand’s simplified version of, “Lap Mei Fun (腊味饭 – Chinese Wax Meat Rice)” – without the liver sausage and pork-belly; but with Chicken cutlets (cooked in Electric Rice Cooker).
- Waxed Meats : Sausage, Duck-drumsticks (trim off excess fat/skin). The VainD does not have the other two waxed-meat..LoL
Optional – De-boned Chicken Thigh cutlets. Chicken cutlets were added simply to cater for someone who does not take the waxed Duck.
- Lots of Ginger strips and finely chopped Garlic – for the chicken cutlets.
Any type of green vegetables. Here, The VianD uses ‘Pok Choy’.
Lots of sliced Scallion – garnishing.
- While U can simply use the normal Light soy, The VianD prefer to mix and flavor a personal sauce. Light soy, Sugar, Sesame oil, White pepper, a touch of oyster sauce, Shaoxing wine and water. All to taste BUT on the sweet side to counter the saltiness of the waxed meats. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Chicken with Light soy, Dark soy (for coloring), a little Cornstarch, Sesame oil, Shaoxing wine, Oyster sauce, Ginger strips, finely chopped Garlic, White pepper, Salt and Sugar to taste. Marinate for a couple of hours. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Rinsed and drained the Rice well. U wanna kindda get rid of some of the starch. Set aside.
- Step 3 : Blanch all the waxed meat – Lightly score the surface of the Chinese Sausages with a sharp knife (this will create an opening for U to get the outer membrane off) – for a few minutes. This process will remove the excess oil from the waxed meat. Peel off the outer membrane of the Sausages. Trim off excess fat/skin of the Duck. Thinly slice the Sausages and thinly chop the Duck. Set aside.
- Step 6 : Then, cook the rice as usual but with a little less water – as the Rice was pre-soaked and some liquid will be released from the Chicken. U certainly do not want soggy Rice. When the Rice is abt 70% cooked (left with a little bubbly water), quickly arrange the Chicken (w’out the marinate sauce) and the waxed meat on top of the rice. From this point on, DO NOT unlid the rice (this is very important, else U’ll end up with uncooked Chicken). Leave to finish cooking. Let it cook a little longer (maybe abt 30 mins), if U want some “bottom-rice-crust”. These are the best bits…LoL
If U R using electric Rice Cooker, to get a little “Rice crust”, simply reheat the cooked rice 2-3 times (press the reheat button on the Rice-cooker).
Just b4 serving, generously drizzle some sauce (make sure everything is dissolved) over the rice, garnish with lots of sliced Scallion. There U have it ! Ur bowl of aromatic savory “Lap Mei Fun (腊味饭 – Chinese Wax Meat Rice)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved