Ready : 40 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 30 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Fry/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 20 mins Printable Recipe.
“Uniquely Aromatic Tasty Spicy Chicken”
“Curry” is synonymous with South East Asian cuisines. The word “Curry” was adopted and anglicized from the Tamil word kari (கறி) meaning ‘sauce’. There are many delicious variations of these exotic cuisines. Dry Chicken Curry (Rendang) is one of them. As the name suggests, it is a drier version of your normal traditional curry. Click here for the traditional more sauce Chicken Curry. Because it is dry, the meat is coated in a thick, super flavorful spice gravy. Most recipes call for toasted desiccated coconut but the VianD does not like the strong flavor of the coconut thus, the omission. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Dry Curry Chicken (Rendang)“.
- Slightly bigger than bite-size chopped chicken thighs.
- These Side Ingredients are really optional. Ur preference.
Chunky Potatoes. We love Potatoes, so there you go…
The VianD also add these to further elevates the flavor. Curry leaves, sliced Shallots and Onion. Tomatoes because it provides a natural sour/sweetness to the dish.
CURRY MASALA (PASTE) :
- This is really a much-simplified version, done with pre-packed curry-paste. While U can prepare the paste from fresh ingredients, which undoubtedly will be much better but this is paste is pretty darn good. U should be able to get this in most grocery store.
Lemongrass (just the white part, smashed), Cardamom seed, Cinnamon stick, Anise and Cloves. While all these are already in the paste, again, The VianD add these to further enhance the aromatic flavors.
- Salt and Sugar. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by sauteing the potatoes with a generous amount of oil till slightly golden-brown, just to firm them up. Set aside.
- Step 2 : With the same oil, saute the Curry leaves, Lemongrass, Cardamom seed, Cinnamon stick, Anise and Cloves till aromatic. Turn down the heat to low. Add the Curry paste. Saute in low heat till aromatic and oil separate to the surface.
- Step 3 : Add in the Shallots and Onions. Continue to saute till Onions soften. Add the Potatoes. Mix well. Turn heat back up to medium. Add in the chicken. Stir and mix well. Make sure all the Potatoes and Chicken all well coated with the paste.
- Step 4 : Add the Tomatoes, again stir and mix well. At this point, add liquid – be it, water, coconut milk or milk (the coconut/and milk will determine the creaminess of the dish). The VianD’s choice is abt 1/2 rice-bowl of milk, top up with water to just about halfway of the chicken. Bring to boil.
- Step 5 : Turn the heat back to down to low and simmer till Potatoes soften – abt 20 mins. From this point, depending on how dry U want the dish to be – U can crank up the heat and cook down the liquid. Add all the Seasoning Ingredients. Ur pot of aromatic spicy “Dry Curry Chicken” is done and ready to be served with white rice.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved