Ready : 35 mins [Prep : 20 mins † Cooking : 15 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : StirFry
Level : Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“Briny Prawn’s Flavor With Bursting Fiery Sambal”
There are many variations of “Sambal Udang (Chilli Prawn)” within the South East Asia countries, but the basic ingredients are more or less the same. While this is a typical dish for a Malay meal, it is also a perfect side dish to serve with Nasi Lemak (click for recipe). This is The Viand’s take on “Sambal Udang/Chilli Prawns (參巴蝦)”. The dish is bursting with the briny flavor of the Prawn; blended with the complex flavor of the fiery sambal.
- Medium size Prawns, shelled (leave the Tail-end) and deveined. Wash thoroughly and marinate with some Salt.
- Sliced Onion, Shallots, a stick of smashed Lemongrass and finely chopped Garlic and Ginger. Sambal paste – here is the recipe for Sambal Paste (click for recipe).
- Tamarind Paste (dissolve in a little water), Belacan (Shrimp paste), Salt and Sugar. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 (Toasting Balacan) : This is optional as the Sambal paste already has Belacan in it; but The Viand like to toast some extra and add in during the stir-frying, just to elevates the flavor further.
Gently toast the Belacan till aromatic – till U can crush it into almost powder form. Be careful not to burn the Belacan, it will turn bitter. Nicely toasted Belacan. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Saute the Sliced Onion, Shallots, Lemongrass and finely chopped Garlic/Ginger till aromatic. The sliced Onion should soften and look translucent.
- Step 3 : Add the Sambal Paste and mix well. Saute till aromatic, add a little water and simmer a while, let everything has a chance to blend together nicely to form the sauce. Add the Seasoning Ingredients. Add the Prawns and mix well in high heat and saute for a abt 3-5 mins (depending on the heat and the size of the Prawns) till Prawns cook thru. DO NOT overcook the Prawns. Plate and serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved