Ready : 50 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 40 mins † Excluding Marinating Time ]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Steam/Smoke
Level : Easy
Idle : 40 mins Printable Recipe.
“Smoky Succulent Tea Leaves Flavored Infused Wings”
“TEA-SMOKING” is the Chinese’s answer to the Western’s method of smoking meat, which we are all accustomed to. While the Westerner smoke with different types of wood to impart flavors to their meat, the Chinese resolve to using Tea, Sugar and Rice to “Tea Smoke” their meat (like the popular Tea Smoked Duck), giving them a completely different flavor. And just like wood, different Tea leave generates different flavor. The Chinese’s method infuses the smoke using the all-purpose cooking utensil, the “Wok”, rather than a Smoker. Adapting this method, The VianD uses Chicken Wings rather than Duck and the final product is a plate of delicious smoky, tender, juicy and tasty Wings, infused with a hint of Chinese’s flavored herbs. Here’s The Viand’s version of “TEA-SMOKED CHICKEN WINGS (茶熏鸡翅)“.
- Chicken Wings – sectioned with wing tips removed.
- Sliced Ginger, smashed Garlic, Scallion (cut to abt 2 inches long), coarsely grounded white Pepper, a tiny bit of 5-spice powder (optional), Gula Melaka (or normal sugar), Dong Quai bits (Angelica Sinensis), lots of Salt, a touch of Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Tea leaves, Sugar, Rice, one Star Anise and Coriander Seeds (optional). Frankly, U can use any dried spice U desired for additional flavors.
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Chicken Wings with all the Marinating Ingredients for a few hours or better still, overnight.
Steam the Wings for abt 10-minutes, depending on the Wings size and ur heat. Arrange the Ginger, Scallion, Garlic below the Wings so that the flavors will infuse into the meat during the steaming. U can do this in advance.
Remove the Wings from the steaming plate when it’s done. Set aside and air-dry for at least 15 mins. U want the Wings to be dry from all the sauce generated from the steaming. There’ll be a bit of sauce generated – keep the sauce, serve as a dipping sauce or drizzle it over the Wings.
- Step 2 : Mix all the Smoke ingredients well on a piece of Aluminium foil. This might just save your wok or the mess of cleaning/scraping. Place a rack over the Smoke Ingredients. Make sure u hve some distance from the Smoke ingredients. U want the smoke/air circulation to evenly smoke the Wings. Preheat the wok (cover with lid) over high heat till the mixture begins to smoke.
Place the Wings on the rack. Do not over pack. Smoke the Wings in batches if needed. Lower the heat to medium and cover the lid and let it smoke for abt 30-min or till Wings turn to a lovely suntan amber color.
- Step 3 : Let the Wings set for abt 15 mins b4 serving. Ur plate of “TEA-SMOKED CHICKEN WINGS (茶熏鸡翅)” is ready to be served.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved