Ready : 30 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 25 mins † Excluding Marinating/Drying Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Steam/DeepFry
Level : Easy
Idle : 10 mins Printable Recipe.
“Aromatic Crispy Skin With Succulent Meat”
“Crispy Skin Fried Chicken” is a Cantonese cuisine found in southern China. The chicken is fried in such a way that the skin is extremely crispy, but the white meat is relatively soft. This is done by first dipping the chicken in water with spices, letting it dry thoroughly (helps make the skin crispy), and then deep frying. The dish often served with two side dishes, a five-spice salt (for dipping) and prawn crackers. This tedious method is posted as Oven Baked Crispy Skin Roast Chicken (Chinese Style) – click for recipe. Here, The VianD tweaked the cooking method by eliminating both “the bathing and air-drying” process and made cooking this dish REALLY simple! The result, it has to be said.., “as good as it can get”, without the mess. Here’s The VianD’s simplified version of “Crispy Skin Roast Chicken“.
- Full Chicken Thighs.
- A generous amount of 5-spice powder (key-ingredient), lots of Salt, Sugar, White pepper, Shaoxing wine, Sesame oil, Oyster Sauce and a little dark Soy for coloring.
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Chicken Thighs with all the Marinating Ingredients. For at least of a couple of hrs, better still overnight.
- Step 2 : This process is really optional (U can simply deep-fry from this point but obviously, will take a longer time).
Steamed in high heat for about 10 minutes. Not fully cook, this process will help shorten the deep-frying process considerably. Save the sauce generated from the steaming (skim off excess oil if U desire), use it as a dipping sauce. Rub more 5-spice powder underneath the Chicken Thighs (avoiding the skin). Rub a little Salt on the skin of the Chicken. Let the Chicken cool down and then put it in the fridge for a few hours without cover. This “Salting and Fridging” process will help dry up the skin and is absolutely crucial for getting a crispy skin.
- Step 3 : This is how the Chicken looks like after a few hours in the Fridge – nice tight translucent skin. Let the Chicken settle to room temperature (out of the Fridge for at least an hr) b4 deep-frying.
Meanwhile, heat up a pot of oil. Make sure it’s enough to cover the Chicken. When it start to smoke turn the heat down to medium. Slowly lower the Chicken into the oil and fried till golden brown – abt 15 mins (depending on the size of the Chicken Thigh). Do not overcrowd, do in batches if needed. To test if the Chicken is done, simply poke the thickest part of the Chicken with a sharp stick, if no oozing pink liquid, it’s done. It’s ok to fry a little longer cos U really want the outside to be crispy and aromatic.
- Step 4 : Transfer out the Chicken to a wired rack to drain excess oil. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes b4 chopping to bite size. Garnish and serve with the dipping sauce.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved