Ready : 35 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 25 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : DeepFry/StirFry
Level : Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“Lightly Battered Crispness Succulent Aromatic Chicken”
There are many different versions of this dish out there, with varying opinions on how one should prepare, batter, season and even garnish. Contrary to popular belief, ‘Salt-and-Pepper‘ recipe is not Sichuan. It does not involve Sichuan peppercorns but finely grounded White pepper instead. Regardless of the recipe, the best “Salt n Pepper Chicken (椒鹽雞)” is served straight out of the wok, fried to a light, golden crispness and humming with salty, peppery sweet spice. The salt-and-pepper cooking method has its origins in Cantonese cuisine and has since scoffed across the world with famous dishes like Salt-and-Pepper Prawns or Squid. The most common version, found at most eatery establishments is usually deboned, deep-fried in full-battered and then quickly stir-fried, seasoned with salt and pepper. Anyway, here’s The VianD’s tweaked version of “Salt n Pepper Chicken (椒鹽雞)“ – with bone intact, coated with very little batter and a little moister.
- Three Chicken Thighs – chopped to bite size. If U can get Kampong Chicken, it’s perfect or alternately, Free-range chicken; cos these Chicken has firmer meat texture and a lot less fat.
- One diced red Onion, some curry leaves, lots of diced Scallion, finely chopped Garlic and Ginger, a couple of Chilli padi (Bird’s eye chili)-cut into half and sliced red chili. And a bit of Flour/Cornstarch for lightly coating the Chicken.
- Lots of Salt and White pepper. Shaoxing wine, Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and Sugar. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by lightly marinating the Chicken with the Seasoning Ingredients. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Then heat up a pot of oil till smoking. Turn heat to medium, gently place the chicken into the oil, piece by piece. Deep-fry in batches, do not over-crowd. Fry till golden brown.
Transfer out to drain excess oil. Set aside. U can do this in advance.
- Step 3 : On medium heat, saute the Onion till slightly caramelized and aromatic. Then add in the rest of the side ingredients except the sliced red chili and diced Scallion, continue to saute till aromatic.
- Step 4 : Add the chicken, stir and mix well and saute till aromatic. Crank up the heat. Add the sliced red chili and diced Scallion. Season with all the Seasoning Ingredients with a little extra of Salt and White pepper. Be quick, give it a few quick stirs to incorporate everything together. Plate and serve hot immediately.
- Step 5 : Viola.., ur plate of “Salt n Pepper Chicken (椒鹽雞)” is ready to be served hot immediately.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved