Ready : 2 5 mins [Prep : 30 mins † Cooking : 35 mins † Excluding Marinating Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : DeepFry/StirFry
Level : Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“Crispy Savoury Peppery Chicken”
This is The VianD second take on “Salt n Pepper Chicken (椒鹽雞)” done in the traditional way – with the chicken deboned, sliced and deep-fried in full-battered. The earlier version of SALT N PEPPER CHICKEN (椒鹽雞) (click for recipe), was done differently – with bone intact and is a little moister without full-battered deep-frying. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Salt n Pepper Chicken – Take 2 (椒鹽雞)“, done in the classic traditional way.
- Deboned Chicken Thigh, slice to 1/2 inch size.
- One diced red Onion, some curry leaves, diced Scallion, finely chopped Garlic and Ginger, a couple of Chilli padi (Bird’s eye chili)-cut into half and sliced red chili.
- An Egg and normal Flour. Salt, White pepper and Sugar.
- Quite a bit of CornFlour, a pinch of Salt and coarsely grounded black Pepper – just b4 deep-frying.
- Lots of salt and white pepper. A dash of Shaoxing wine, Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and Sugar. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Chicken with all the Marinating Ingredients, a pinch of Salt, White pepper and Sugar (add a little water if too dry) – for at least a couple of hrs. The images are pork, but the process is the same for Chicken, sorry…LoL
- Step 2 : Mix all the Dredging Ingredient well. Making sure the Chicken is at room temperature (out of the Fridge for at an hr), coat the Chicken properly, well coated – no expose wet part of the Chicken and dust off excess Flour. The images are pork, but the process is the same for Chicken, sorry…LoL
- Step 3 : Heat up some oil (enough to cover the Chicken) till smoking, then turn heat down to medium. Gently lower the Chicken into the oil, piece by piece. Don’t overcrowd, do in batches if needed. Flip occasionally to ensure even frying, for 4-5 mins or till Golden brown. Set aside to drain off excess oil.
- Step 4 : Saute all the Side Ingredients (except the diced Scallion) in medium heat till aromatic. Crank up the heat. Add the Chicken – a few quick stirs and mix well. Add diced Scallion and all the Seasoning Ingredients. A few more quick stirs and ur plate of “Salt n Pepper Chicken – Take 2 (椒鹽雞)” is ready to be served hot.