Ready : 35 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 30 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Braise
Level : Easy
Idle : 30 mins Printable Recipe.
“Tender Pork Belly Aromatic White Peppercorn”
“Braised Pork Belly with white Peppercorn” is an adaptation of “Shanghai-Style Braised Pork Belly (Hong Shao Rou)” without the sugar caramelization process. While the Shanghai’s famous dish is basically sweet in nature, this version of Pork Belly is savory and packed with white Peppercorn flavors. Try it and see if U like it. Here’s The VianD’s take on “Braised Pork Belly With White Peppercorn“.
- Pork Belly (preferably with skin intact), sliced to abt 1-inch size.
- White Peppercorn – abt 1 1/2 teaspoons (coarsely grounded).
- Cinnamon stick – a tiny piece (can be over-powering).
- Coriander seeds (abt a tablespoon).
- Dark soy and Cornstarch mixture (optional).
- Scallion (sliced to abt 2 inches long).
- One sliced red chili.
- Salt, Sugar, Shaoxing wine, Sesame oil, Back pepper and Oyster sauce. Dark soy for coloring. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by sauteing all the braised Ingredients till aromatic.
- Step 2 : Add in the Pork Belly and saute on medium heat till a little brown (or till fat starts to render).
- Step 3 : Add water just enough to cover the meat, bring to boil on high heat, then turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 mins or so. The longer U simmer the softer the Pork Belly becomes, your preference. At this point, U can add a dash of Black soy, just for coloring and a little Cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce if U like.
Add the Garnishing and Seasoning ingredients and mix well. Plate and serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved