Ready : 30 mins [Prep : 20 mins † Cooking : 10 mins]
Serve : Individual Serving
Generic : StirFry
Level : Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“A Definite Street-Food Favourites”
Mamak is a colloquial reference to the Indian-Muslim community in Malaysia and Singapore. The word ‘Mamak’ is the Tamil term for maternal uncle, or ‘maa-ma’. One all-time favorite outdoor Hawker stalls in this kind of area are called Mamak Stall. These establishments serve a vast variety of affordable food/drinks and offer an unpretentious atmosphere, creating a casual dining atmosphere. One popular favorite dish is Mee Goreng Mamak – a creation of the Mamak, U cannot find this is India. Here is The VianD’s version of “Mee Goreng Mamak (Indian/Muslim Fried Yellow Noodle)“.
- Yellow Noodle, Bean Sprouts and Eggs.
SIDE CONDIMENTS :
- Garlic – smashed (not in picture). Onion, Red Chilli, Fish Cake and Chicken – all sliced.
- Fried Tofu, Tomato, Potato (boiled and peeled) and Chilli Padi (Birds Eye Chilli: U may want to cut the Chilli Padi to bigger pieces (or even leave as whole) so that they visible and not get bite into) – all cubed. (** Note : Just a handful of everything except for Garlic and Chilli Padi. You can add any Meat or Vegetables U fancy.)
- Chilli Paste (Chilli Boh) and Curry Powder – mix with a little water to form a paste.
- Oyster Sauce, Tomato Ketchup, Salt and White pepper (not in pict). Optional – Chilli Sauce. All to taste.
**Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger flavor of a certain spice, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Lime (halved). sliced Red Chilli, finely chopped Scallion and Parsley.
With a quick multi-part cooking process like a Stir-fry, organization is key. Have all ingredients prepped ahead of time before cooking.
The pictures depicting the Ingredients are for a serving of 4-5. BUT the picture depicting the cooking is for one serving. So, if U R cooking for 4, divide the Ingredients to 4-portion and do the frying four times. Doing everything in one go, will definitely deter the quality of the dish…
- Step 1 : Saute some chopped Garlic with sliced Onion, Fish cakes and the meats till aromatic. Everything was sliced so they cooked easily.
Shift aside and saute the Sauce mixture till aromatic.
- Step 2 : Add in the rest of the Side Ingredients. Mix well and saute till aromatic. Then add in the Noodles and mix well. At this point, U can add a dash of Dark Soy (just for coloring). Stir and mix well.
Here’s a little trick, use the corner of the Spatula to stir, this way you will avoid breaking the Noodles.
- Step 3 : Move the Noodles aside, crack an Egg, break it up and then cover/top with the Noodles. Add the Flavor Seasoning and Bean Sprouts. Crank up the heat and stir/mix well.
Dish up, garnish with some finely chopped Scallion and Parsley and your plate of “Mee Mamak” is ready to be served.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved