Ready : 30 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 20 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : StirFry
Level : More Than Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“An Aromatic Flavorful Of A Chicken Dish”
“Three Cup Chicken”, is a popular Taiwanese dish. The name refers to the three all-important ingredients used to cook it, i.e. a cup of Rice wine (Shaoxing wine), Soy sauce, and Sesame oil. Ahhh…, U R right, U DO NOT need three cups of each Ingredient (as the name would suggest..LoL). Ok, here is the thing :- In your younger days, have U eaten a chicken dish that was so regularly served at home and seems so simple to prepare and U’ve never ever given it a second though because it just seems to be magically there and it’s just a simple dish being cook by your mother or whoever cooks in your home ??? Ya ?? Well.., “Three Cup Chicken” is most probably that dish..ahaha..! Why – because it is just basically Chicken; fry in Dark soy with sliced Ginger (without the Basil), flavored with Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. Sound familiar, ya ?? “Three Cup Chicken” is just a fancy name. *LoL* Anyway, here is The VianD’s take on “Three Cup Chicken (三杯鸡)”.
- Chicken thigh chopped into bite-size – with bone and skin intact.
- Smashed Garlic (lots), Sliced Chili and Ginger, Onion – cut into small quarter (optional), Scallion (lots) and Parsley – cut to 1-2 inches long.
- The three all-important ingredients that make up the sauce – Sesame oil, Shaoxing wine and Light soy. Dark Soy (just for coloring). Salt, Sugar, White pepper, Oyster Sauce. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
The original recipe calls for Sweet Basil Leaves (or Thai Basil) instead of Scallion, but since The VianD does not have that on hand – so, Scallion it is..LoL. The Onion and Chili are also optional and not in the original recipe. Btw, U DO NOT need 3 Cups of the all-important ingredients (as the name of the dish suggested), unless U R cooking for the whole town..LoL.
- Step 1 : Start by heating up a Claypot (or any Pot will do) on high heat with sesame oil. Add the Ginger, Garlic and Onion. Stir-fry until aromatic (it’s ok to be slightly burned). Then add the chicken and sear till golden brown. Add Shaoxing wine, dark soy sauce and light soy. Stir and mix well.
- Step 2 : Add some water (just abt cover the Chicken) and bring it to boil. Cover and turn the heat to medium and simmer till the chicken is cooked through – abt 15 mins. Then remove the cover and turn up the heat to reduce the sauce till slightly thickened. Make sure to stir the chicken during this process to prevent burning. Add in the Scallion and Chili. Add all Seasoning Ingredients. Add an extra dash of Shaoxing wine, just to elevates the flavors. Give it a few quick stirs. Viola ! Ur pot of “Three Cup Chicken” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved