Ready : 60 mins [Prep : 15 mins † Cooking : 50 mins † Not Including Marinating time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Steam/Deep-fry/Stir-fry
Level : Easy
Idle : 30 mins Printable Recipe.
“Gorgeous looking appetizing of a dish ”
“King Do Pai Kuat (Kyoto Pork Ribs – 京都排骨)”, most probably have the most variations in name. It is often referred to “Sweet and Sour Pork Ribs”, “Peking Pork Ribs”, “Tong Cu Pai Kuat” or “Pai Kuat Wong”. While the dish is obviously delicious, its popularity also lies in its enchanting color and gorgeous appealing look. There are many different versions of this dish. But most commonly; it is considered as Zhejiang Cuisine and Sichuan Cuisine. Basically, there are two different class of cooking method for this dish – ‘Slow braising’ and the other, ‘Lightly battered, flash-fried and doused in a sticky sauce’. However, the key point is similar – controlling the balance between the ‘Sourness (vinegar) and Sweetness (sugar). Here’s The VianD’s version of “King Do Pai Kuat (Kyoto Pork Ribs – 京都排骨)“.
- 12 individual Pork Spare Ribs – trimmed off excess fat and back-membrane, cut to about 3 inches long.
- Coarsely grounded Black Pepper, Salt and Shaoxing wine.
- An Egg. Light Soy, Sesame oil, Shaoxing wine, Oyster sauce, minced Garlic/Ginger, Salt, Sugar and White Pepper. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
An Egg and a small amount of Flour (just to give it a slight crunchy coating).
- The all-important Chinese Black Vinegar and Sugar (Rock or Brown), Light Soy, Sesame oil, Shaoxing wine, Oyster sauce, Salt, a touch of Tomato Ketchup and Thai Sriracha Chili sauce (optional). All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
A little water. Cornflour mixture (with water) in a separate bowl.
- Step 1 : Season the Ribs with the Steaming Ingredients, mix well and steam for 30-mins. This step is optional but The VianD do this to help tender the Ribs.
- Step 2 : Remove the ribs and pad-dry. Add Marinating Ingredients, mix well and marinate for at least a couple of hrs or better still overnight.
Keep the liquid generated from the steaming for the sauce.
- Step 3 : Mix all the Sauce Ingredients with the steaming liquid (add water if too little). Cornflour mixture (with water) in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Step 4 : Nicely marinated Ribs. Make sure the Ribs are at room temperature (out of the Fridge for at least an hr).
Deep-fry the Ribs on high heat, till golden brown. Let it sit to drain excess oil.
- Step 5 : Bring the Sauce mixture to boil. Turn to medium heat and reduce it to ur preferred sticky consistency. At this point, have another taste of the sauce, U can still adjust the balance of the flavors. Make sure, there is enough sauce to generously coat the Ribs.
U can add the Cornstarch mixture to help the thickening process.
- Step 6 : Add the Ribs and gently mix and toss well. Make sure all the Ribs are generously coated with the sticky sauce. Plate and serve with white rice.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved