“Smoky Aromatic Tea Leaves Infused Piece of Rib”
Ready : 1 hr 30 mins [Prep : 15 mins † Cooking : 75 mins † Excluding Marinating Time] Printable Recipe
Adopting the Chinese method of “Tea Leaves” smoking, these smoked Pork Ribs are packed with aromatic earthy flavors generated by the Tea Leaves as well as a hint of Chinese spices and herbs. The marinating spices were limited to a minimum so as to keep the clean flavor of the Ribs and let the smoking do its magic. A completely different palate’s experience as compared to the traditional Western ways of smoking and strong flavorings. Here’s The VianD’s version of “Tea Leaves Smoked Ribs“.
- 12 individual Pork Spare Ribs – trimmed off excess fat and back-membrane, cut to about 3 inches long.
- Salt, Black Pepper, Sugar, Garlic powder, Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Sliced Ginger and Shallots cut to abt 2 inches long.
- Rice, Tea leaves, one Star anise, one stick of Cinnamon, Gula Melaka (or normal sugar), Dong Quai bits (Angelica Sinensis), Dried Rosemary, Coriander seeds and Five spice powder.
Or any other dried spices U fancy – that U wanna infused into the Ribs.
- Step 1 : Marinate the Ribs overnite or at least for a couple of hrs with the Marinating Ingredients.
- Step 2 : Place the Steaming Ingredients into a tray.
- Step 3 : Place the ribs on top and steam on high heat for 30-45 minutes. This process is done to the soften the Ribs and can be done ahead of time and set aside.
~ Nicely steamed Ribs.
- Step 4 : Sieve the sauce generated from steaming. At this point, U can further enhance the flavor of the sauce of ur preference. For example – Tomato, BBQ or Chilli sauce.
- Step 5 : Render down the sauce to slightly thicken it, almost syrup like.
Set aside and use this to brush the Ribs during the smoking process. U can also drizzle it over the Ribs just before serving.
- Step 6 : Lay a double layer of aluminum foil over a Wok and pour in the well mixed Smoking Ingredients, making sure evenly spread. Turn the heat to high and wait till smoke starts to emits.
- Step 7 : Place all the Ribs on top of the rack and smoke the Ribs on low heat for a good 30 minutes. Brush the Ribs occasionally with the sauce thru out the smoking process.
The Ribs should be nicely browned, almost earthly-matt color.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved