Ready : 45 mins [Prep : 30 mins † Cooking : 15 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Deep-fry
Level : Easy/Tedious
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“Crispy Aromatic Pillowy Soft Interior Meatballs”
“Meatballs” are simply ground or minced meat rolled into a small ball along with other ingredients, spices and seasonings. They are cooked by frying, baking, steaming, or braising in sauce. They are extremely versatile and can be serve as a killer appetizer, finger foods or part of a dinner dish when served with rice. The VianD has posted an earlier version “Chinese Fried Meatballs” (click for recipe), which are coated with breadcrumbs. Here’s The Viand’s second take on, “Chinese Fried Meatballs – Take 2“.
- Minced Pork – a mixture of Pork-belly and lean Pork.
- For Texture – Jicama (Sa Got – in Cantonese/Sengkuang- in Malay). Onion, Red carrot, Mushroom, Red Chili, Jicama, Scallion and Parsley. All diced and a handful of everything.
- For Binding – An Eggs, Breadcrumb and Corn flour. Oh..and grated Parmesan cheese (optional and not in the pict).
- Salt, Sugar, Five-spice powder and White pepper. A dash of Shaoxing wine, Sesame oil, Light soy and Oyster sauce. All to taste.
** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, together with the Flavoring ingredients. Get your hands dirty, dig in and mix really well. Add the Breadcrumb as U go along, till U get the right consistency resembling the sticky bread dough.
Gather the Meat mixture into a huge ball and begin the throwing/slamming process. This will force the air out of the Meat mixture thus making it firmer. Ur preference of how long or how many times U choose to do this. LoL
- Step 2 : Nicely mixed and slammed meat-mixture. Fridge for a while – allow time for the marinate to get infused and also help the meat to settle and ensure easy handling.
- Step 3 : Wet ur hands. Gently toss between ur palm or whatever means to form the meat into balls of abt 1-inch size – just make sure they all abt the same size to ensure even deep-frying.
This can be done ahead of time. Just make sure they are at room temperature before deep-frying.
- Step 4 : Heat up a pot of oil, enough to cover the meatballs. When it starts to smoke, turn the heat to medium and gently put the meatballs (one by one) into the oil.
Do not over-crowd. Flip occasionally to ensure even frying and fry for 4-5 mins or till golden brown.
- Step 5 : Dish out to a metal rack to drain oil. Perfectly deep-fried meatballs. Let it rest for 5-10 mins b4 serving.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved