Ready : 15 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 10 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : StirFry
Level : More Than Easy
Idle : NonePrintable Recipe.
“Easy Simple Delicious Hearty Eggs Dish”
“It is not often in life we have the privilege of handling a masterpiece of ingenuity. But we do it without thinking when we cook one of nature’s most brilliant creations – the unassuming but extraordinary Egg.” ~ Anne Gardiner and Sue Wilson.
How true !! And The VianD wanna add to that – “You can Heat ’em, Beat ’em, Fry ’em, Steam ’em, Bake ’em, Scramble ’em, Hard-boil ’em, Soft-boil ’em, Poach ’em, Pickle ’em or Mix ’em up and still turns out delicious – both in sweet and savory !!!” Amen ! LoL Anyyy..way, here is the Chinese version of “Egg Omelette with Sliced Onion“, which U can easily find endless versions all over – the most famous version would be “Fried Egg Foo Yong” (which has a few more ingredients incorporated into the Eggs). Btw, The VianD is of the humble opinion that the Omelette should be in the form of a Pancake, with all the ingredients incorporated into the Eggs (Omelette) and not scattered around separately in pieces – if it does, it wouldn’t be an Omelette, wouldn’t it ???. Here is an earlier version – done with Diced French Beans, “Egg Omelette With French Beans” (click for recipe). Here’s The Viand’s simple version of, “Egg Omelette with Sliced Onion“
- Eggs, Sliced Onion. Sliced Red chili and Scallion – more for coloring.
- Salt, White pepper, Sesame oil, Oyster Sauce and Light soy sauce. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : While U can simply mix the Sliced Onion into the Eggs and fry, The VianD like to saute the Onion with some finely chopped Garlic to elevates the flavors.
Two reasons – caramelizing the Onion a little really does go a long way in elevating its flavor. Second, the Onion can be a little too raw and overpowering.
- Step 2 : Season the Eggs with all the Seasoning Ingredients. Mix well and lightly whisk. Do not whisk the Eggs too much, unless U prefer fluffy Eggs.
- Step 3 : Transfer the caramelized Sliced onion into the Eggs and add sliced Chili and Scallion. Mix well.
- Step 4 : The VianD like to use an 8-inch size nonstick pan to do the frying. Think it is a nice serving size plus a lot easier to handle. Using a medium-sized ladle, scoop the Egg mixture into pan – neat and tidy. 3/4 full scoop – yield just a nice thickness of the Omelette.
On medium heat, let the Eggs sit for abt 2-3 mins. It should be ready (solidify enough) to be flip. Flip and fry for another 2-3 mins. When it’s nice and golden brown, it’s done. Plate and serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved