Ready : 30 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 20 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Fry/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 10-15 mins Printable Recipe.
“The Original Classic Wine Chicken”
“Chinese Yellow Wine or Rice wine, is a type of Chinese alcoholic beverage brewed directly from grains such as rice and contains 18 kinds of amino acids, including 7 kinds of essential amino acids for the human body, the nutrition in the kind of wine is very rare. In addition, it also contains sugars, organic acids, esters and rich in vitamins.” ~ Serious Eats.
Commonly prepare for confinement, “Wong Zhao Kai” (Chinese Yellow Wine Chicken) has three important health properties. The wine; runs your blood; the chicken nourishes and the ginger; keeps the body warm. But more important, this dish tastes incredibly satisfying and delicious – especially consume in a cold raining day *smile*. The VianD has earlier posted a tweaked version with beaten fried-eggs; Wong Zhao Kai (Chinese Yellow Wine Chicken) – click for recipe. Here’s The Viand’s version of the original recipe, “Classic Wong Zhao Kai (Original Chinese Yellow Wine Chicken)“
- Chicken Thighs – chopped to bite size. If U can get Kampong Chicken, it’s perfect or alternately, Free-range chicken; cos these Chicken has firmer meat texture and a lot less fat.
Chinese Yellow (Rice) Wine. If U can’t get this, Shaoxing wine is a good substitute even though, it is not as sweet.
- Lots of slice Ginger (preferably mature old Ginger). Black Fungus – soak in water for abt 10-15 mins, coarsely slice. Optional – sliced Parsley.
- Salt, Sugar and White-pepper. All to taste. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by sauteing the sliced Ginger and some chopped Garlic with Sesame oil (more aromatic) till aromatic. Normal cooking oil is fine.
- Step 2 : Add Chicken and saute till meat turn whitish in color. Add some of the Rice wine for flavoring and saute a while more.
- Step 3 : At this point, The VianD like to transfer the Chicken to some kind of Pot to do the simmering (U can do it in the Wok). Add water and Rice wine and bring to boil. How much is totally ur preference, this will be ur soup. If U prefer more alcohol flavor, add more wine. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10-15 mins (if U used Kampong/Free-range Chicken, a little longer – cos meat texture tougher). Add all the Seasoning Ingredients. Add the Black Fungus and Parsley, give it a quick stir. Turn off the heat, add a little more wine, just for some oomph..LoL Viola, ur pot of “Classic Wong Zhao Kai (Original Chinese Yellow Wine Chicken)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved