Ready : 1 hr 10 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 1 hr]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Braise
Level : Easy
Idle : 1 hrPrintable Recipe.
“Classic Aromatic Appetizing Pork Ribs”
Don’t know if this is really the traditional classic braised Pork-ribs dish or not, but The VianD would like to believe so bcos this is a dish that The VianD grew up with and have always been prepared the same way. Maybe, it’s just a family thingy..*smile*. It is really quite simple with the usual Chinese braising spices, namely Star Anise, Cinnamon Stick and coarsely grounded White peppercorn. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Classic Chinese Braised Pork Ribs“.
- Pork-ribs – chopped to bite size with excess fat/membrane trimmed off.
- Smashed Garlic and Shallots. Sliced Ginger, Red carrot, Red Chilli and Scallions/Parsley. A Star anise, a stick of Cinnamon stick, coarsely grounded White peppercorn and a couple of Cloves.
- Salt, Sugar, a dash of Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine. A dash of Dark soy for coloring. A little Cornstarch mixture as thickening agent. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by sauteing all the Side Ingredients till aromatic, except sliced Red Chilli, carrot and Scallion/Parsley.
Add the Ribs, saute a while till all are slightly sear.
- Step 2 : Add Dark soy, stir and mix well. Add water, just enough to cover the Ribs. Bring to boil and turn the heat to medium/low and simmer for abt 45-60 mins or till Ribs soften and sauce slightly thicken.
Add the sliced Red Chilli, carrot and Scallion/Parsley. Add all the Seasoning Ingredients. Stir and mix well. Add Cornstarch mixture to ur preference of sauce consistency. Simple, ur pot of aromatic delicious “Classic Chinese Braised Pork Ribs” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved