Ready : 15 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 10 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : StirFry
Level : More than easy
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“Delicious Healthy Dish”
Ridge gourds are also called “Luffa acutangula, Petola, Sponge gourd or Luffa”. It provides loads of health benefits which include – rich dietary fiber; Vitamin C, Zinc, Iron, Riboflavin and Magnesium; low saturated fat, cholesterol and calories and this aids weight loss. Enough of its benefits, one thing for sure is that; it taste really good with its natural sweetness and spongy texture. While the Gourd itself can be stir-fried and very much stand on its own as a dish, here -The Viand prepared it with Egg Tofu, a very popular chinese dish. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Stir-Fry Ridge Gourd with Egg Tofu (Sing Gua Tofu)“.
- Lightly deep-fried Egg-tofu or U can buy the Japanese Egg Tofu (slice to abt 1/2 inch thick). If U are interested in making ur own Egg Tofu, here’s the recipe – click here for Egg Tofu. Ridge Gourd, peeled and thickly slice in an angle or wedges. Sliced red Carrot (just for coloring) and Ginger.
- Black Fungus – coarsely slice. Kei Chi (Wolfberry), Both soaked in water for abt 10-15 mins. Cornstarch mixture as thickening agent.
- Salt, Sugar, white pepper, a touch of Oyster sauce, Sesame oil and a dash of Shaoxing wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by deep-frying the Tofu in very high heat smoking hot oil, just till Golden-brown – a min or two. Transfer out to drain off excess oil. Keep aside.
- Step 2 : Saute some chopped Garlic and sliced Ginger till aromatic. Add in the Ridge Gourd, give it a few quick stirs, till aromatic. Add a little water (not too much, U can always add more if needed). Bring to boil, turn the heat to low and simmer till the Gourd soften – abt 5-8 mins, depending on the size. Add sliced red carrot and the Side Ingredients. Bring to boil again. Add Cornstarch mixture to the right consistency. All the Seasoning Ingredients.
- Step 3 : Lay the Tofu on a plate. Pour the Gourd over and voila, ur plate of “Stir-Fry Ridge Gourd with Egg Tofu (Sing Gua Tofu)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved