Ready : 10 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 5 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : StirFry
Level : More Than Easy
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“A Humble Savory Sourish Dish”
First things first, there are basically two types of “HamChoy (Preserved Mustard Green)”, just like; there are two type of Mustard Green – one being leafier than the other. This is the leafy kind. What U get from most eating outlets uses the lesser leaves type – particularly, the famous TeoCheow’s style. While this leafy type is often found at “CapFan (Mix-rice)” stalls, their versions are usually very watery and almost flavorless. In anycase, the version presented here is dry, and I think; originated from the Hakka clan. Well, at least this is the version that The VianD grew up with and is usually stir-fry with Squid or Beef slices. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Stir-Fry HamChoy with Sotong/Squid/Calamari (Preserved Mustard Green)“.
- HamCHoy – cut to abt 1 cm thick. Soak in water and squeeze. Do it several times to get rid of excess saltiness and sourness but not too much as U do want to retain the HamChoy flavor. Taste it to ur preference.
- Sliced red Chilli and Ginger. Sliced Squid. If you need informations on how to prepare the Squid (beautiful curls flower slices), chk out these links – http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/seasquidc.html or http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-prepare-squid.
- Sugar, white pepper, a touch of Oyster sauce, Sesame oil and a dash of Shaoxing wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by stir-frying the squeezed-dry HamChoy with a few pieces of sliced Ginger without oil. Not very sure why U do this but saw my Grandma doing this, so simply follow..LoL Anyway, the most logical reason would be getting the HamChoy drier and thus more aromatic and flavorful. Keep aside.
- Step 2 : Saute some chopped Garlic till aromatic. On high heat, add in the Squid, give it a few quick stirs – be mindful that Squid cook really fast else becomes chewy and tough. Add a little water (not too much, if U prefer a little gravy). Bring to boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for a min or two Add sliced red chilli and all the Seasoning Ingredients. Crank-up the heat, a few more stirs and mix well. Voila, ur plate of savory sourish “Stir-Fry HamChoy with Sotong/Squid/Calamari (Preserved Mustard Green)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved