Ready : 30 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 20 mins † Not Inclusive Marinating Time]
Serve : 3 pax with other dishes
Generic : Light DeepFry/Sauteing/Tossing
Level : Moderate
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“Sinfully Aromatic Delicious Prawns”
This is a dish that really need to savor with ur hands. Coated with the luxurious roux concoction of salted egg yolks, butter and evaporated milk with the delicate aroma of the curry leaves, this dish is simply divine. It is not salty as the name would suggest (bcos, the saltiness of the Salted Eggs lies with the egg-white, not the yolk). While the origin of this recipe is unclear, one thing is for sure, this is a well-known dish among Malaysian and Singaporean alike. Frankly, this dish needs no further introduction. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Salted Egg Yolk Butter Prawns“.
- 10 medium size Prawns – deveined with all legs and sharp pointed thingy scissored off. The VianD like to keep the shell intact as the shell should help keep the meat succulent during deep-frying and also for presentation purposes, ur choice, U can shelled it.
- Finely chopped Garlic and Ginger. Sliced Shallots, couple of Chili Padi (bird’s eyes Chili) and Curry Leaves. Two Salted Eggs Yolk. Flour, Butter and Evaporated milk (not in the pict.).
- Salt, Black Pepper and beaten Egg.
- Salt, Sugar, white pepper, a dash of Oyster sauce, Fish sauce and Sesame oil. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Prawns with all the Marinating Ingredients for a couple of hrs. Separate the eggs white and yolk of the salted eggs (keep the white for other cooking), making sure no eggs while is stuck to the yolk (wash the yolks gently in water). Steam the Yolk for abt 10-min, let it cool down and smash it as finely as U can. Keep aside.
- Step 2 : Before deep-frying, make sure the Prawns are at room temperature (out of the Fridge for at least an hr). Lightly coat the Prawns with Flour – don’t over coat, here is actually a little over-done. Heat up some oil to smoky hot, just enough to cover the Prawns. Turn heat down to medium, dust of excess Flour, deep-fry the Prawns for 2-3 mins – depending on the size of the Prawns and the heat (lay the Prawn in one-by-one). Over cooked Prawns meat will be tough. Set aside to drain off excess oil.
- Step 3 : Meanwhile, heat up some oil in a Wok/Pan (the oil will keep the butter from burning), add the butter, let the butter melt. Add the finely chopped Garlic and Ginger, Sliced Shallots, Chili Padi (bird’s eyes Chili) and Curry Leaves and saute till aromatic. Add the smashed salted eggs yolk. Grind the yolk down with the back of the spatula and saute till blubbering. Add evaporated milk. Add the Prawns and toss gently, making sure the Prawns are all evenly coated. Add all the Seasoning Ingredients. Toss again and Viola, ur plate of sinfully delicious aromatic “Salted Egg Yolk Butter Prawns” is ready to be served HOT !! Seriously, serve immediately, U should know how butter is like when it gets cold… LoL.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved