Ready : 55 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 50 mins † Not Inclusive of Marinating Time]
Serve : 4-5 and other dishes
Generic : Steam/Deep-fry/StirFry
Level : Moderate Easy
Idle : 30 mins Printable Recipe.
“A Unique Acquired Flavor Pork Ribs Dish”
Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing and is suitable for vegetarian. As many of you may know, it has an acquired-taste, either “U like it or hate it”. *LoL* Marmite is traditionally used as a spread on bread or toast for breakfast. But lately, it has made its way into cooking as a leading flavor ingredient. Its natural unique savory umami flavor combined with a few other ingredients is a perfect backdrop for glazing meat to create that sticky, finger-licking, caramelized effect.This dark glossy sauce is a perfect glaze for any fried meat in general. Here’s The VianD’s take on “Marmite Pork Ribs”.
- Clean Pork Ribs – with excess fat and tough back-membrane remove. Cut to abt 2-inches long (half of the length of the Pict. shown).
- The all important Marmite.
- A tea-spoonful of Marmite. A table-spoonful or two of Corn-flour, an Egg, white pepper, Sugar, Light Soy, a touch of Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine (Dry Sherry is a good substitute).
- Sliced Shallots and finely chopped Garlic. Corn-starch as thickening agent. A tea-spoonful or two of Marmite (a little more if U prefer stronger Marmite flavor). A little of Dark soy for coloring. Salt, Sugar(Gula Melaka/Brown), Honey (Maltose), Light soy, white pepper and a touch of Oyster sauce. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Ribs with all the Marinating Ingredients. If U want more crust (after deep-fying) on the Ribs add more corn-flour and if U want stronger Marmite flavor add a tiny bit more (not too much, can be over-powering). Mix well and leave it to marinate for at least an hr but better still overnite (this will infuse more flavor and more tender meat).
- Step 2 : Making sure the Ribs are at room temperature (out of the Fridge for at least an hr). This steaming process is optional (and can be done in advance) but The VianD always do this steaming process for deep-frying Ribs dishes, simply because it ensure the Ribs are cooked through without worrying abt over deep-frying and resulting a tough meat texture. Place the Ribs on a large deepen-plate (lots of juice will be generated), without the sauce and steam on high heat for abt 30-mins. Drain the juice generated and set aside to cool. When the Ribs has cool down, deep-fry the Ribs on high heat to golden brown (just a couple of mins). If U choose to skip the steaming process, U will have to deep-fry the Ribs on medium heat till golden brown (takes longer to cook the Ribs). Set aside to drain excess oil.
- Step 3 : Using the juice (use water if steaming process was skipped) generated from the steaming of the Ribs, mix all the Sauce Ingredients (except sliced Shallots and Garlic) thoroughly. Set aside. Saute the sliced Shallots and chopped Garlic till aromatic. Add in the Sauce mixture and bring to bubbling boil. Adjust the amount of sauce by adding water if necessary. At this point, U can also adjust the intensity of the Marmite flavor by adding more, just make sure it is dissolved completely. Let the Sauce render down to a sticky caramelized consistency.
- Step 4 : Add the Ribs and gently mix and toss, ensuing all the Ribs are well coated. Plate and garnish and viola, ur plate of unique acquired flavor of “Marmite Pork Ribs” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved