Ready : 25 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 20 mins]
Serve : Individual Helping
Generic : Boil/Baise
Level : Easy
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“Auspicious Delicious Noodles for Celebrations”
“Longevity Noodles” are eaten by all walks of Chinese around the world during festive and Birthday celebrations. Culturally, it symbolizes health, longevity, prosperity and luck for the year ahead. These noodles should never be cut or broken, and if possible, should be eaten without biting through the strands (slurp) – it’s considered even more auspicious. While U can use any kind long Wheat Flour Noodles, the brand that The VianD opted is specially catered – after boiling, it has a firm, chewy and kinda crunchy texture (kinda like a cross between Soba and Ramen..LoL). Some ethnic Chinese group uses “Mee Sau”. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Braised Longevity Noodles“.
- Longevity noodles – this is the brand Tha VianD opted.
- A handful of Bean sprouts. Sliced Onion, Red Chili, soaked Shiitake Mushroom, Fish Cake, Fish paste and a few pieces of Ginger. Julienne Red Carrot and lean Pork (marinated with Oyster Sauce, Light Soy, Salt, Sugar, Sesame oil, white pepper and a pinch of Corn flour).
- Salt, Sugar, white pepper, a touch of Oyster sauce and a dash of Sesame oil. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by boiling a large pot of water with some Salt over high heat and cook noodles until just done (al dente), 5-10 minutes (follow package instructions), stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Drain in a colander and rinse thoroughly (really rinse well to get rid of the excess starch) with cold water until cool, then drain well to remove water. Lightly oiled the noodles to keep them from clumping together. Keep aside. U can do this in advance.
- Step 2 : Saute some chopped Garlic, sliced Onion, Ginger till aromatic. On high heat, add the Pork strips, sliced Mushroom, Fish cake and Fish paste, give it a few quick stirs – till aromatic. Add water (this be ur gravy). Bring to boil, add Red Carrot strips, turn the heat to low and simmer for a min or two. Add all the Seasoning Ingredients. Crank up the heat, a few more stir and mix well. Fish out all the Ingredients, leaving the gravy (optional, U don’t have to do this but this way, U can then add the Ingredients on top of the Noddles before serving, giving it an attractive appetizing look).
- Step 3 : Add the Noodles, mix well, (add more water if too dry, U do need a little gravy). Adjust Seasoning Ingredients accordingly if needed. Plate the noodles, top with all the Pork Ingredients. Voila, ur plate of “Braised Longevity Noodles” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved