“Clear, Nourishing And Natural Sweetness Herbal Soup”
“Herbal“, to all of us – in many ways, suggest an unpalatable flavors, even bitter-tasting medicinal-like concoction that is very un-appealing. In all honesty, this could not be further from the truth because in Chinese cooking, many recipes involves Herbs one way or another, especially soup. Chinese tonic or herbal soups are all about putting various blends of natural ingredients together which balance nutritional value and medicinal/therapeutic functions or simply, purely for flavoring to produce a bowl of savory delicious soup. “Double-boiling” simply means the soup is prepare by steaming. This method ensures tat, there is no loss of liquid or moisture (its essences); thus all the ingredients’ goodness is sealed in and the soup remains clear. Having said all that, you could easily cook this in a pot, with soup simmered over low heat for abt. 3 hrs or so, or in a slow cooker set on Auto for abt. 4 hrs. Here’s The Viand’s version of, “Double-Boiled Herbal Chicken Soup”
- Yuk Chuk, Kei Zi (Wolfberries), Dang Shen, Bei Qi and Red Dates (these are the Herbals that The VianD opted for – a more subtle gentle flavor, U can easily get a whole set of Chicken Soup Herbal from any Chinese Medical shop).
- Optional (just for added flavors) – Dried Oysters and dried small soup Scallops (U can use the big expensive ones.., 😉 and if U do, make sure they stay in intact as a whole just for appearance, else defeat the purpose). Wash everything and soak for abt 10-15 mins with warm water, just to get rid of any impurities.
- Chicken Thighs, remove the skin, if U wish but the skin gives U tat little bit of “Yau Sui (oily)“..😋 making the soup looks a hell lot appetizing. Here, The VianD uses the full Chicken Thigh and divide into two.
- Just a pinch of Salt and Sugar to taste. U simply do not want to cloud the soup in any way. *** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice/sauce – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Put all the Herbal Ingredients at the bottom of a pot. Place the Chicken on top. Add boiling water, cover and steamed for abt. 3 hrs. U really gotta put in the 3-4 hours to get the nourishment of the herbs into the soup. (Optional : To avoid the Chicken being overcooked too soft, U might wanna take them out after abt 2 hour or so. Put them back into the hot soup just b4 serving). DO NOT STIR THE SOUP too much (else U’ll get bits of broken-down meat and cloudy soup) !!! After abt. 3 hrs, ur pot of nourishing and soothing “Double-Boiled Herbal Chicken Soup” is ready to be served hot.