Ready : 45 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 35 mins † Not Inclusive Marinating Time]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Braise
Level : Easy
Idle : 30 mins Printable Recipe.
“Addictive, Satisfying, Comforting Chicken Dish”
“Korean Braised Chicken (Jjimdak)” is a popular Korean dish, hail from the city of Andong, Korea. In general, braised chicken dishes are called Jjimdak (also called dakjjim) in Korean. “Dak” means chicken and “Jjim” means steamed, stewed or braised in a sauce. It’s savory in nature but tilted more to the sweet side (as for most Korean dishes); with a very subtle spicy kick. This complex flavor, accompany with the delicious sauce and Glass Noodles, is highly addictive, satisfying and comforting. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Korean Braised Chicken (Jjimdak)“ – adopted from Beyond Kimchee.
- 2 full-size chicken thighs – divided into 3 pieces. Clean off excess fat.
- Overnite soaked Shiitake Mushrooms (half if too big) and a handful of peanuts (optional). Block Potatoes, Red Carrots, sliced Onion, a couple of Dried Chili and a few clove of smashed Garlic. Glass noodles, soak for at least an hr.
- Minced Ginger, Garlic and red Chili. Some Gula Melaka (brown sugar) or normal raw sugar is fine and freshly grounded black Pepper. Mix well with Light Soy (maybe a few drops of Dark soy, just for coloring), a dash of Sesame oil, Shaoxing Wine, Oyster sauce and some water.
- Salt and Sugar. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Optional – Start by searing the Chicken with a tiny bit of oil on medium heat till slightly golden brown – 2/3 mins; (The VianD like to do this because it helps the Chicken holds it shape plus, also add a little crust texture to the skin). Or U can choose to parboil the chicken for a few minutes. Marinate with the prepared sauce and set aside. If U have the time, let it marinate for a couple hrs for better flavor.
- Step 2 : Meanwhile, fire up a pot and saute the smashed Garlic, sliced Onion and dried Chili till aromatic. Add block Potatoes and Carrot, continue to saute till aromatic or a little brown – 3/5 mins. Add the Chicken, with the sauce together and soaked Mushrooms and Peanuts. Bring to boil and turn down heat to simmer for abt 20-30 mins or till everything are cooked thru and soft.
- Step 3 : Add the soaked Glass noodles, mix well and bring to boil again. Viola, ur pot of addictive, satisfying and comforting “Korean Braised Chicken (Jjimdak)” is ready to be served HOT !!
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved