Ready : 50 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 40 mins† Not Inclusive of Marinating time ]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Saute/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : 30 mins Printable Recipe.
“Mouth-watering Hallmark Filipino Chicken Dish”
Philippine Adobo (from Spanish adobar: “marinade,” “sauce” or “seasoning”) is a quintessential cooking process in Philippine cuisine that involves meat, seafood, or vegetables marinated in vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic, then gentle braise with Black Peppercorn and Bay leaf to create a pungent, rich, savory and sour; absolutely mouthwatering dish. Dubbed as the unofficial national dish, this dish is world-renowned and obviously, has since evolved to many different versions, some even with Coconut milk incorporated into the recipe. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Filipino Adobo Chicken“.
- Three full Chicken Thighs – cleaned off excess fat, chopped into three pieces.
- Smashed Garlic, sliced Ginger (substitution for Bay Leaf). Whole Black Peppercorn (not in pict). Optional – sliced Onion, sliced Red Carrot (just for coloring) and some Parsley Stem.
- Key ingredients – Light soy, Rice Vinegar (or any light white Vinegar) – these are the two main flavors ingredients, so U do need quite a bit, freshly grounded Black pepper. Optional (this will balance out the sourness and saltiness and brings all the flavors together) – Gula Melaka (or normal raw sugar), Oyster sauce and a dash of Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. A dash of Dark soy for coloring. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by mixing all the Marinating Ingredients together with some water. Marinate the Chicken for at least 1-3 hrs (overnite for better flavor). Set aside.
- Step 2 : Meanwhile, on medium heat, saute the smashed Garlic, sliced Ginger and sliced Onion till soften and lightly brown. Move Onion aside or remove from pan, sear the Chicken (skin-side down first) until slightly golden brown.
- Step 3 : Add the remaining marinating sauce and top with water to a level of just abt cover the Chicken pieces. Add the whole Black Peppercorn and Parsley Stem. Turn up the heat, bring to boil, turn down heat to low, and simmer for abt 30-mins or till Chicken tender (stir occasionally). To render down the sauce to a slightly thicken glaze, remove the lid, add Red Carrot slices, turn the heat to medium and continue simmer to desired sauce consistency. Adjust the flavor. Viola, ur pot of mouthwatering “Filipino Adobo Chicken” is ready to be served hot with plain rice.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved