Ready : 1 hr 20 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 1 hr 10 mins]
Serve : 4 with other dishes
Generic : Braise/StirFry
Level : Moderately Easy
Idle : 1 hr Printable Recipe.
“Delicately Flavored Black Beans Ribs”
This seems to be a long-forgotten delicious Ribs dish that was once served at most “Tai Chow” eatery establishments. Now, U can only find the slightly different steamed version at “Dim Sum” establishments. Not sure why this dish has mostly disappeared from the Menu but my late brother, who used to run a “Tai Chow” stall many years ago, prepare this dish really well. In fact, he does most stir-fry dishes that involve Salted Black Beans sauce (or in Cantonese, “Si Chup“) really well – second to none, in my humble opinion. The trick is; of course the delicate balancing of the strong/pungent salty Black Beans flavor with just the right amount of sweetness. Anyway, here – The Viand try to reinvent my late brother’s “Si Chup” taste of, “Stir-Fry Ribs with Salted Black Beans (Si Chup Pai Kuat)“.
- Ribs chopped to bite size.
- Sliced green Capsicum and Onion. Lots of Scallion (cut to abt 2-inches long). Sliced red Chili and Carrot – just for coloring.
- Sauce – Coarsely chopped Salted Black Beans (wash the Beans, it could be very salty), Garlic, Ginger, red Chili. Optional – a tiny bit (abt 1/2 tsp) of Taucu (fermented Soya Bean).
- Oyster sauce and Sugar. A touch of light Soy, Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine and dark Soy (just for coloring). All to taste. ** Note : Just dash of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Optional – This Step is optional. While U can simply skip to Step 2 and add the raw Ribs; but then, U’ll have to braise the Ribs much longer to get them soften or alternately, marinate with some-kind meat tenderizer. By braising, the aroma of the Salted black beans will be diluted significantly in comparison to quick stir-fry. So, The VianD incorporated this step of braising the Ribs (to the right texture consistency) before stir-frying. Besides softening the meat, this step will also help heighten the flavor of the Ribs. Start by simply saute a small piece of smashed Ginger, some chopped Garlic and coarsely grounded white pepper till aromatic. Add in the Ribs and saute further till Ribs turned whitish. Add water, bring to boil, turn heat to low and simmer for at least an hour or till Ribs soften. U can add a little Salt and Sugar as flavoring. A hint of Dark soy for coloring. Not too much, U can adjust ur final seasoning during Step 2. U can do this in advance and set aside. Btw, U can actually do more of the Ribs and simply fridge it for further future cooking with other flavors.
- Step 2 : Saute all the Side Sauce Ingredients (mix well) till aromatic. Add sliced Onion and give it a few stirs. Add the braised Ribs without the sauce and continue to saute till aromatic. Add some of the braised sauce (this will be ur gravy), depending how much gravy u prefer. Bring to boil, turn down the heat, add the rest of the Side Ingredients and all the Seasoning Ingredients. Crank up the heat again, a few quick stirs, making sure sure everything is well-mix. Dish out and ur plate of aromatic delicious “Stir-Fry Ribs with Salted Black Beans (Si Chup Pai Kuat)” is ready to be served hot with plain rice.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved