Ready : 25 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 15 mins† Not Inclusive of Soup boiling time]
Serve : Individual Helping
Generic : Sauté/Boil
Level : Easy
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“Another Hakka Noodle Delight”
“Loh Shi Fun (老鼠粉)”, also known as Rats’ Tail Noodle (Malaysia) or Silver Needle Noodle (Hong Kong) is a type of rice flour noodle. The intimidating name came from the shape of the noodle, as the noodle tapered-off at the ends – resembling that of a rat’s tail, or needles… LoL Technically, this is just another Hakka noodles dish topped with minced meat. Here is the soup version but the more popular version is dry, mix with Dark-soy (with the soup served separately at the side). Traditionally, this dish only has minced-meat as topping but The VianD kindda heightened the dish with extra toppings, such as Prawns, Fish Balls and Fish Cake slices. Here’s The Viand’s take on “Hakka Loh Shi Fun Soup (Silver Needle Noodle)“.
- Loh Shi Fun. U can substitute with any noodles U like.
- Toppings – Bean Sprout. Shallot/Garlic oil. Minced lean pork (not in pict.) marinated with, Light-soy, Dark-soy, Oyster sauce, Salt, Sugar, white pepper, Sesame oil and a dash of Shaoxing wine. Optional – Fish Balls, Sliced Fish Cake, Prawns.
- Any bones and the normal suspect variety of Vegetables. Here, The VianD has Chicken bones, a small piece of smashed Ginger, Cabbage, Onion, red Carrot, Scallion, Potatoes – all roughly chopped and Tung Choy (preserved Veges).
- Salt, Sugar, white pepper, a touch of Oyster sauce and a dash of Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by bringing a pot of water to boil, add Chicken bones, let it boil on high heat. Sieve of unwanted impurities on the surface (keep doing till clear). Add the rest of Broth Ingredients and bring to boil. Turn heat to low and let it gentle simmer for at least 2-3 hrs or till everything kindda breakup. When done, sieve out everything and U should get a pot of light brownish clear soup. Add the Seasoning Ingredients. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Meanwhile, start sautéing the sliced Shallot and chopped Garlic with a generous amount of oil to golden brown on medium/low heat. Set aside. With the same Pan, sauté the Minced meat, making sure everything is break-up, till aromatic and kindda dry. Set aside.
- Step 3 : Heat a pot of boiling water. Simply poach the Loh Shi Fun and all the Toppings Ingredients. Place the Noodles in a bowl with the toppings, a generous scoop of Minced-meat, add the steamy hot soup, drizzle with the Shallot/Garlic oil and U R good to go ! Ur steamy bowl of “Hakka Loh Shi Fun Soup (Silver Needle Noodle)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved