Ready : 1 hr 20 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 1 hr 10 mins † Not Inclusive Of Marinating Time]
Serve : 3 with other dishes
Generic : DeepFry/Simmering
Level : Moderately Easy
Idle : 1 hr Printable Recipe.
“Unmistakably Hakka Classic Pork-belly Dish”
“Hakka Char Yoke (客家炸肉)“, used to be a festive dish of the Hakka clan. The VianD family used to eat this by wrapping the pork with a piece of Chinese lettuce. Because the dish is really quite sapid (as in most Hakka dishes) with the intense flavor of the Nam Yue (Fermented red bean curd), the Lettuce will provide the freshness and a little crunchiness to balance out the dish. These days, the flavor of the dish has since been mellowed down to cater for everyday so-called healthy eating..LoL While traditionally, this is a braised dish, the crispy deep-fried pork (before braising) is pretty good by itself – sooo, U can always save some just for the heck of it..LoL Here’s The Viand’s take on “Hakka Char Yoke (客家炸肉)”. *** Note : This is not properly done or rather not to the satisfaction of The VianD. As U can see, the Pork belly were too densely coated with Flour, so DO NOT add too much flour. The Pork should be very lightly coated ***
- Pork belly with skin attached, cut into chucks – abt 1-inch. The VianD added a little lean meat because some of us prefer lean meat but seriously, lean meat will be tough.
- Soaked Black fungus. (Note : There are basically two types of Black fungus, one being bigger/thicker in shape and size – these are the ones used in the original recipe. The VianD has the smaller/thinner ones so these were used instead.) Sliced Ginger and slightly smashed Garlic and Shallot.
- 2 pieces of Nam Yue, an Egg, 1 tbsp of Corn flour, 1 tbsp of Rice flour, Light Soy, Sugar, white pepper, a dash of Oyster sauce, Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. All to taste.
- Salt, Sugar, white pepper, a touch of Oyster sauce and a dash of Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. Optional – A dash of Dark soy for coloring, a dash of 5-spice powder and Cornstarch mixture. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by marinating the Pork with all the Marinate Ingredients for at least an hr – longer for better flavors. Set aside.
- Step 2 : Heat up a pot of oil (To check if the oil is ready for deep-frying, simply poke a chopstick in the oil, if its sizzle, its ready). Make sure the pork is at room temperature (out of the Fridge for abt an hr). Gently lay the Pork into the oil – piece by piece and deep-fried till Golden brown. Don’t over-crowd, do in batches if needs to. Fish out and set aside to drain off excess oil. U can do this in advance.
- Step 3 : In some kind of Crockpot, on medium heat, saute the smashed Garlic, Shallot and sliced Ginger till aromatic. Add in the Pork, making sure everything is mixed well and continue to saute for awhile till aromatic. Add water till just above cover the Pork, turn up the heat and bring to boil. Turn down heat to low, cover and let it simmer for abt an hr or till Pork tender and soft (preference).
- Step 4 : Add the BlacFungusus after into abt 30-mins of simmering. When the Pork is soft/tender to ur preference, add in the Sauce Ingredients. Mix well and ur pot of aromatic delicious “Hakka Char Yoke (客家炸肉)” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved