Ready : 1 hr 45 mins [Prep : 5 mins † Cooking : 40 mins]
Serve : 3 with other dishes
Generic : Poach
Level : More Than Easy
Idle : 1 hr 40 mins Printable Recipe.
“A Most Aromatic Flavorful Chicken Dish”
“Soy Sauce Chicken” or “Si Yau Kai” is a quintessential Cantonese favorite, categorized in the class of “Siu Mei” staple. Recently, a street food stall in S’pore was awarded with a Michelin Star, selling this dish !!! Wow, what an accomplishment, I must say. Amazing, ya ??? The key to a beautiful plate of “Si Yau Kai” is to GENTLY poach the chicken in a pot of flavorful sauce. No boiling, no pan searing, not even braising – just the gentlest subtle of simmering. This will leave the chicken skin intact, taut with glistening beautiful reddish brown color and a tender juicy bird. Need The VianD say more ??? LoL.. Now, let’s get to the recipe – here’s The Viand’s take on “Poached Soy Sauce Chicken (酱油鸡)“.
- 2 full Chicken Thighs – with skin intact, washed and get rid of excess fat. *** Here’s a little trick – to get a really nice brown color on the Chicken, simply rub a tiny bit of Dark soy and let sit for a while.
- Salt, Sugar (brown sugar/Gula Melaka would be good), Dark soy, a generous amount of good quality Light soy, Shaoxing wine, coarsely grounded Black Pepper, Cinnamon stick and Anise. Smashed Ginger and Garlic. Red Dates, Yok Chok (Solomon’s Seal Rhizome), Kei Chi (Wolfberry) – all soak in warm water (just for a little while). All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Preparing the Sauce – Start by boiling all the Sauce Ingredients for at least an hr (longer for better flavors) to get the flavors. It’s all about the sauce !! MUST be favorable enough to infuse into the Chicken ! This sauce can be freeze to reused again.
- Step 2 : When the Sauce is ready, submerge the Chicken into it, making sure that the sauce is enough to cover the Chicken. Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer (without cover) for abt 40-mins. To test if the the Chicken is cooked thru, simply poke the thickest part of the Chicken with a skewer, if no oozing blood, its cooked. When the Chicken is done, gently take out (U don’t want to tear the skin) and let it rest to cool down. When it is cold enough to handle, U can simply chop the Chicken into bite size or as presented here, The VianD like to debone it and then chop into bite size. U can do all this in advance.
- Step 3 : When U are ready to serve, simply re-heat the Chicken by running the sieved (U don’t want tiny bit of the Sauce Ingredients all over the Chicken, do U?? LoL) hot Sauce over it. Scope a generous of the sauce (sieved) over the Chicken and ur plate of delicious “Poached Soy Sauce Chicken (酱油鸡)” is ready to be serve hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved