Ready : 40 mins [Prep : 10 mins † Cooking : 30 mins]
Serve : 3 with other dishes
Generic : Saute/Simmer
Level : Easy
Idle : None Printable Recipe.
“Syrupy Caramelized Savory Sweet Pork”
The VianD call this fake “Shanghai-Style Braised Pork Belly (Hong Shao Rou/紅燒肉)“..LoL, Why fake, U may ask? Well; first, the cooking technique here is nothing like cooking “Hong Shao Rou” – most noticeable is that, there is no Sugar caramelization process and as for the Ingredient, no Black vinegar is involve. Without these two key elements, which is the hallmark of “Hong Shau Rou”, The VainD wouldn’t dare label this dish as such – even though it taste just as delicious and pretty much similar. Sooooo, The VianD rather named this dish “Braised Soy Pork Belly” and here’s The Viand’s take on it.
- Pork Belly cut into abt ¾-inch thick pieces with Skin intact.
- Slightly smashed Shallot and Garlic. Sliced Ginger and Parsley Stem (Optional).
- Slightly crushed Black Pepper, Star Anise, Coriander Seeds and Cinnamon stick.
- Salt, Brown Sugar/Gula Melaka (raw sugar is fine), Light soy and Dark soy.
- Oyster sauce, Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
- Step 1 : Start by sautéing the Ingredients Part 3 on medium heat till aromatic. Add Ingredients Part 2 and sauté till aromatic/starts to brown.
- Step 2 : Move everything aside, add the Pork belly. Let it sit a while to seal/brown before stirring. When the Pork is brown, mix and stir everything together.
- Step 3 : Add Part 1 of Seasoning Ingredients. Stir well, making sure everything is mix and well coated. Saute for a min or two (keep stirring to avoid burning), just to let the Seasoning to get absorb into the Pork and a chance for the Sugar to caramelize a little. Add water, just abt covering the Pork. Bring to boil, cover with lid and then turn heat to low and let it simmer for abt 30-mins or ur preference of the softness of the Pork. Add the rest of the Seasonings and mix well. The sauce should be slightly thick and syrupy. Viola, ur plate of syrupy caramerlized savory sweet “Braised Soy Pork Belly” is ready to be served hot.
Copyright © 2014 The VianD · All Rights Reserved