“Clean Natural Sweetness Cabbage”
“Napa” or “Napa Cabbage” is a type of Chinese cabbage originating near the Beijing region of China and is widely used in East Asian cuisine. Since the 20th Century, it is also a widespread crop in Europe, America and Australia. In much of the world, this is the vegetable referred to as “Chinese cabbage”. Napa Cabbage is a cool season annual vegetable which grows best when the days are short and mild. The plant grows to an oblong shaped head consisting of tightly arranged crinkly, thick, light-green leaves with white prominent veins. The innermost layer leaves is light/pale yellow in color and when cooked, process the most delicious natural sweet flavor (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa_cabbage). Ooo, btw, in Korean cuisine, Napa Cabbage is the main ingredient of Kimchi – the national dish of both North and South Korea.
As for this dish, all U really need is the Napa Cabbage because, on itself, the Napa Cabbage carries an incredible mild fresh sweetness with crunchy stems which make a delightful vegetable dish. As a condiment, The VianD added Roast Pork, bcos the saltiness of the Roast Pork will elevate the natural sweetness even further. The rest of the Ingredients are merely for garnishing. *😁* Nothing much to add so here is The VianD’s take on “Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage with Roast Pork“.
• Napa Cabbage – cut to about 1-inch thick. Separate the stem from leaves because U wanna cook the stems first as it takes a little longer to cook through.
• Roast Pork. Sliced red Carrot, a few slices Ginger, smashed Garlic and sliced Red Chili.
- Light soy, Sugar, Salt, a touch of Oyster sauce and a dash of Sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. A tiny bit of Cornstarch mixture as thickening agent. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!!
STEP 1 :
• Start by sautéing the sliced Ginger and smashed Garlic till aromatic on medium/low heat.
• Add the Roast Pork and continue to saute till oil starts to render and aromatic.
STEP 2 :
• Crank up the heat, add the stem of the Napa, stir and mix well. Add a tiny splash of water just to create some steam to cook the stem.
• Then add the leaves (cook and soften really fast), a few more good stirs, add all the Seasoning Ingredient. At this point add the Cornstarch mixture bit by bit to ur desired thickness consistency.
• Viola, Ur plate of crunchy “Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage with Roast Pork” is ready to be served hot immediately. If U leave the dish just a little while, water will be secreted and the dish will become a littler soggy as presented here.
** Tip ** : Always add the Shaoxing wine just before plating. Swirl the Shaoxing wine in a thin stream around/along the side of the wok. This way, the heat will burn off the alcohol leaving behind a wonderful aromatic fragrance.