- Pork Ribs with excess fat and membrane cut off. Wash thoroughly and chopped to bite size.
- The all important White Radish (medium size). Peel and cut into slightly bigger than bite size block.
- One Onion, a Bay Leave, a Cinnamon Stick, one Star Anise, a few Clove, White Peppercorn, a few Dried Chili, sliced Ginger and smashed Garlic.
- Sliced the Onion. One Potato – optional but The VianD like to add these finely chopped Potatoes (after disintegrating from the braising) to create a natural thickness to the stew rather than using some thickening agent like Cornstarch.
- Light Soy, Dark Soy, Brown Sugar (or Rock Sugar/normal Sugar is fine), Salt, Oyster sauce and a dash of Sesame oil, Shaoxing wine and White pepper. All to taste.
- ** Note : JJust a dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient/spice flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice – no rocket scientific measurement here. Always taste your Seasoning !!! The trick is NOT the exact measurement, the trick is “to taste the Seasoning” and get ur preference balance of flavors !!!
On medium/low heat, start by sautéing the Cinnamon Stick, Star Anise, Clove, White Pepper Corn, Dried Chili, sliced Ginger and smashed Garlic till aromatic. Crank up the heat, add the Ribs. Continue to saute the Ribs till turn kinda Whitish and slightly brown. Then add the Radish, Potatoes and Onion. Give it a few good stirs and mix well. Add water (amount depend on how much Stew U prefer). Add Dark Soy and Bay Leave.
Bring to a bubbling boil for a few minutes. Transfer to Slow Cooker, set to High and braise for abt 1 hr- 1hr 30 mins (depending on ur preference of the softness of both the Ribs and Radish).
Scoop out whatever that was cooked to ur preferred consistency and set aside (leaving them in the pot will eventually over-cooked). Transfer the remainder stew or watever U need to soften further into a Pot or Wok, crank up the heat and reduce the stew vigorously in high heat till U achieved ur preference of amount or consistency of the Stew. Plate and pour the stew over. Garnish and ur plate of flavorful delicious “Chinese Ribs Stew With Radish” is ready to be served hot.
Chinese Pork Ribs/Radish Stew NoodleS
After the above Stew is done and if U are hungry and wanted some snack before dinner or lunch, this is wat U do for a delicious Noodles dish. Simply scoop out some of the dense Stew and dilute it with a little water (adjust ur preference of flavors by the amount of the dense Stew and water), bring to boil. Then cook some Noodles (The VianD opted for Mee Suar (Hokkien) or Min Seen (Cantonese) – Salted Wheat Flour Noodles). Pour the boiled Soup over the Noodles, scoop some Radishes & Ribs over on top. Done, ur bowl of delicious aromatic rich and comforting “Chinese Ribs/Radish Noodles“ is ready to be served hot. How’s this for a tag line – “One Dish, two ways to savor !!!”. 😄