- 3 large Chicken Thighs – chopped to abt 2-inches size.
- Potatoes cut into block (Qty – preference).
- Smoked Sausages (which will give U a little bit of smokiness). But any Sausages is fine. Qty – preference.
- Lots of soaked Dried chillies (abt 15-mins in hot water) – U do need quite a bit for the heat fiery effect, Red chillies, Lemon glass (only the white part), Garlic, Ginger, Onion and Shallots – all roughly chopped. Some fresh Galangal and Turmeric would be good but powder form is fine. Here, The Viand does not have any Galangal and uses Turmeric powder.
- Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds (bth smashed), Cloves and Star-anise.
- Salt, Sugar, Rice Vinegar/Tamarind paste (water) and a touch of Oyster sauce. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice (no rocket scientific measurement here). Always taste your Seasoning !!!
Start by blending all the Paste Ingredients into a puree until smooth. Set aside.
In a Pot/Wok, heat up a generous amount of oil. Add all the Dried Ingredients and Curry-leaves and saute until aromatic and mustard seeds starts to pop. In medium heat, add the Chili Paste and saute – stirring continuously (to avoid burning), till oil kindda separates (raise to the top). Add the Potatoes and mix well, again keep stirring for a couple of mins.
Add the Chicken and mix well, again keep stirring till Chicken turned kindda whitish. Add water, just enough to barely cover the Chicken and Potatoes. Stir well and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat to simmer, cover with a lid and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
Add the Sausage and all the Seasoning Ingredients. Bring to boil again, stir well and off the heat. Cover and let it rest for a while b4 serving. The residual heat will cook the Sausages. Viola, ur pot of fiery tangy red spicy appetizing “Devil’s/Debal Curry Chicken” is ready to be served warm.